• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Voltage Regulator

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Is there any alternatives for the 4TR control box? MG..Triumph?? It's all Lucas parts, something must be available locally that doesn't cost 60 bucks.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The primary ALTernative most of us have used is to replace the ALT with a newer one with built in regulator. Advance Auto parts sells the Hitachi 14231 (for a 1980 Datsun 210) for $49.95 plus $10.00 core charge. Not much cheaper than the $60 for the 4TR, but probably a better solution. There are articles on doing the conversion. I have a write up on the elctrical changes, but you'll also need to move the mounting bracket a bit forward.

I don't know of any alternative to the 4TR with the original alt.

Tom

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
The primary ALTernative most of us have used is to replace the ALT with a newer one with built in regulator. Advance Auto parts sells the Hitachi 14231 (for a 1980 Datsun 210) for $49.95 plus $10.00 core charge. Not much cheaper than the $60 for the 4TR, but probably a better solution. There are articles on doing the conversion. I have a write up on the elctrical changes, but you'll also need to move the mounting bracket a bit forward.

I don't know of any alternative to the 4TR with the original alt.

Tom

I do not know of any 4TR replacement either. My recommendation, if you choose to replace the alternator, is to go with the Delco 63 amp 10SI. About $35 and readily available from salvage yards and auto parts stores. Easy to adapt to the Alpine.

65beam

Donation Time
regulator

I know of three different versions of the 4TR. I don't know the difference other than different number of terminals and on a couple of them you can't use the original connector because the wiring hooks up different. new ones are available thru sunbeam specialties but they are 68.00

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Thanx for the replies. Nothings wrong with the alt, so I'm gonna stay stock for the time being. I guess its time to place an order and spend the 70 bucks.

Am suprised that theres no common, easily found replacement for the T4R tho.