• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Victor

Nickodell

Donation Time
Jees, Rick ... that brought real tears to my eyes and a lump in the throat. I haven't seen a Victor in motion in 43 years. It's like being transported back to another generation in another continent. It brought back a lot of memories. The engine start reminded me of the time we had a visiting VIP (an Air Marshall - equiv. Major General) who wandered over too close to the front and was body-checked by a mechanic who grabbed the VIP's cap before it was sucked into the air intake. After blood-curdling threats, he calmed down when it was explained why the mech. had done it.

I also was interested in the shot of the broken braking 'chute , a not uncommon experience which, on a shorter runway, could cause real ass-puckering as the scenery approached at speed. Did you notice that each main gear had eight wheels, making 18 total wheels and tires? Victors were fitted with the Dunlop Maxaret anti-lock system, but it only worked if the gear was firmly on the deck. If you inadvertently stood on the brakes before touchdown the wheels would lock up and blow all 16 main gear tires, at a horrendous cost to the taxpayer. That was most commonly done by pilots on our OCU, who were converting from Canberras (brake lever on the control wheel, not the rudder pedals) made. I believe the tires cost some $600 each in today's money. It also generally ruined the wheels, too.

The tears/lump were at the max when they showed my "office." I noticed that the position is now called "Navigator/Radar," rather than "Nav/Bomb." Probably more Political Correctness.

Rick, I had no idea any Victors were still flying. Thanks.

P.S. The hoped-for 20th Anniversary of the incredible Black Buck 8,000-mile round-trip Falklands bombing mission by the Avro Vulcan has had to be cancelled. They just couldn't rustle up enough money to get it flyable in time. Sad. (But, after the "Red Fleet vs. Blue Fleet" Battle of Trafalgar reenactment crap, some pacifist bedwetters would probably have complained about holding the Falklands reenactment too. I'm amazed that they are even allowed to celebrate D-Day today).

skywords

Donation Time
Nick
I thought you'd like that. They say it is not airworthy but judging from the pictures and the condition of everything I've seen I say poppycock go for it. The engine runs, high speed taxis, controls work, by my standards that means GO!!. I have seen a whole lot worse ferried out of dirt strips, DC-4s and the like. Shoot that Victor looks brand new. If you look at the web site and Work Diary they have everything in working order (what more do you need other than cabbage for fuel?) You should see the Starship they want me to ferry, I only wish it looked one quarter as good as that Victor.

Lots of video clips of the taxis and what not on that site, also a forum that I joined and you should too. There are people on that forum that you probably flew with. They have taxied it at 140 knots, just wearing out the brakes, I say pull up:) These folks have been working their butts off keeping this bird alive and I salute them.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Here's a pic of my station, now called Nav/Radar. Stuff looks like it came out of WWII in comparison with today's solid-state "glass cockpits." The main ones in front of me were altimeter, Green Satin (RAF code word name) to show groundspeed and drift, and, to the right of the display, is the GPI6 (Ground Position Indicator), which was fed by several other nav instruments
and showed latitude and longitude - the inside was like a large, finely made chronometer, full of cams, pinwheels, relays and pinions, quite advanced for the time, sort of an early analog electromechanical predecessor to the GPS that came 30 years later. The first job, on entering the aircraft before a sortie, was to orient the GPI6 with a known lat/long of the hardstand where the Victor was parked, and the heading. These were displayed on large notice boards placed around the hardstand.

As wonderful as the GPI6 was, errors crept in during flight and had to be corrected, using "fixes" from radar, TACAN or, at night, astro star fixes with, believe it or not, a sextant. The sextant was mounted on what looked exactly like a submarine periscope, and to use it you located the "point" under a small round airlock in the cabin roof; then by operating two controls in sequence you could push it up through the airlock and do your thing - provided that you could get the skipper to keep the plane straight and level for 5 or 6 minutes. You then had to perform mathematical calculations because, unlike on a ship for example, from the time you got your first "fix" to the last one the plane could have traveled 40 miles or more.

The other stuff is an Radio Direction Finder, giving a relative bearing from whichever radio beacon was selected, and a TACAN display giving the same from a TACAN beacon. One of my jobs was to keep the aircraft log, with regular entries of our position.

rad-nav_station2.jpg

The white knob sticking down from the roof was used in getting in and out of the seat. It is identical to the ones you see in London Unerground trains that commuters hold onto! The main problem about facing aft was, surprisingly, a higher likelihood of airsickness in the early days, and a constant danger of giving the pilots a wrong change of direction. You can see the little window in the upper left, which was largely irrelevant as a) you couldn't see out of it when seated; b) if you looked you would generally see cloud, or the black of night; c) during the day it was a nuisance as it interfered with the radar screen, but there was a blind you could pull down. Slightly below this is the "War and Peace Box," with the bomb(s) [always referred to as "heavystore"] key switch.

The screen is the H2S Mk. 9a display, and mounted above it the R88 camera which took photos of the display during a trip, and was used to critique after a simulated bomb run. The panel to the left of the screen allowed the radar scanner to be tilted at various angles so as to vary the coverage from near to far. The thing below the display is the 626 Joystick, which was used to control the display and set the impact point, and also set up a windage factor, or offset.

The big panel in the upper center contains large Heading and Ground Speed repeaters. Sticking out above the display is the radar altimeter, ancient technology (early 1940s) but still very accurate. In fact, one of my jobs was to frequently set this to "hgh level" and check actual altitude against the regular, or "pressure," altimeter. By working backwards, as it were, you could then reset the barometric pressure, which could vary greatly on a long trip, on the pressure altimeter.

All this was for the purpose of dropping one or two of these. Have you ever actually seen nuclear weapons?

we177b_on_carrier.jpg

On a mission the two navigators would draw from the armory vault the unique key for the weapon(s) to be loaded on the aircraft. I would normally keep the key, and it was the Nav/Radar's job to accompany me everywhere until we boarded the aircraft. The bombs would have already been loaded into the bomb bay, and guarded by two armed MPs. Before flight the two navs would have to use the key to set the delivery mode to be used (airburst altitude, or ground burst), and also for the "yield," or power of the weapon - bet you didn't know that you could vary it from 100% to a fraction of this! These setting were done on a panel on the side of the weapon, and confirmed by the captain.

Luckily, we only ever had to do this in simulation on concrete-filled bombs. During the Cuban Missile Crisis it was done by a team of senior officers whom I had never seen before, and never saw again.

Rick; you really shouldn't get me going on this again!

skywords

Donation Time
Nick
That panel looks more complex than the engineers panel on 727. Wow I bet the Celestial Navagation training was intense. I purchased a text book once because I wanted to learn it but quickly discovered how complex a subject it is and to learn it outside a classroom would be foolish. The GP16 I suppose was similar to inertial navagation? I noticed Lusty Lindy has a yellow ring instead of the white knob for seating assistance and I did not see a blind for the window.

Funny thing the owner of the Victor makes his living restoring cars and airplanes are the hobby just the reverse of my life.

Always enjoy your writing Nick

Thanks

Nickodell

Donation Time
Thanks, Rick. I think it's all a matter of the age of the brain. Up to about age 21 you can absorb buckets of stuff that a few years later you'd find yourself struggling with. I'll bet that if you had studied celestial nav in your early 20s you'd have lapped it up. And, like so much of service instruction, they have been taking raw material and stuffing highly technical information, whether piloting, navigation or engineering, into people from all walks of life for several generations. It's all done by numbers.

Armed forces are dumb and stupid in some ways (particularly in senior officers; something seems to happen to them when they get past Lt. Colonel), but in instruction they know what they're doing. My dad used to say that he marvelled how a class of pilots in WWII would be composed of every socioeconomic and intellectual class - accountants, lathe operators, farm hands, shop assistants and college graduates - and, barring the washouts and those killed in training accidents, they would be able to handle complex flying machines in a matter of weeks. All done by numbers.

But don't try it on guys over the age of 25. With rare exceptions, it's too late.