• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vented brake idea

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry for the poor pictures The first pic shows the 11.75 in a 15x6" rim
second pic older 10.25 in a 15x6" rim.......poor car has been sitting out the past 2.5 years

Attachments

• IMG_5687.jpg
    IMG_5687.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5688.jpg
    IMG_5688.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
https://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperProd?itemno=120-8925

A piston area of 4.45 square inches corresponds to a piston diameter of 2.375 inches.

In any case, the difference in piston area between a 2.375" and 2.500" piston diameter is less than 11%. Did your problem with 2.500" bore GM Metric calipers happen to also involve the use of a 6:1 ratio brake pedal which results in a shorter than normal master cylinder stroke (and volume)?
While the two are tied at the bellybutton, the 2.5" caliper bottomed out on the master cylinder then in use, I'm thinking it was .75". Regardless of sizes involved, my next MC resulted in a firmer than desired pedal, which prompted the 6:1 pedal. Can't recall the exact stops along the way. I do recall that when I "refreshed" the old 2.375 junkyard calipers with new ones, the mascara hit the fan and it took me a long time to determine the cause, new replacement calipers that were purchased as 2.375 but were 2.5", as were the second round of new calipers. Difference was not huge, just enough to cause the pedal to bottom out during an emergency stop. Yes, I knew I walking a fine line, but knew enough reject anything that hinted of trouble.

Bill