• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vented brake idea

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
2WD 82-85 Datsun (Nissan) 720 pickup vented rotor. Same diameter as stock later rotor. Could be turned down to earlier size. 3/8" spacer for stock caliper. 1/4"" adapter plate between rotor and hub. For 13" wheels. 4X4 rotor is 10.5" and could be used with 86-88 Toyota pickup 4 piston caliper with adapter bracket. Need at least 13/16" master cylinder. For 14" and 15" wheels.

Toyota caliper link:

Attachments

• 121.42024_Left__ra_p.jpg
    121.42024_Left__ra_p.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 14
  • cbrake1.jpg
    cbrake1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
My old ser5 V6 ran Maxima rotors machined to fit the front bus. A small spacer ring was needed as well. Also, spacers were made to widen the calipers. no other mods were needed. Dale Akuzuski came up with this many years ago

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The GM "Metric" caliper is easy to adapt to the Alpine geometry. Unfortunately, my last experience with the caliper was not good. The then current crop of calipers were all 2.5" piston, even when identified as 2.375", That size piston requires a 13/16" or 7/8" master to prevent bottoming out.
Bill

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
One other option is to just order the front brake kit from Wilwood Complete kit including a new hub

The big rotor kit is on my ser4 GT V6 car

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The GM "Metric" caliper is easy to adapt to the Alpine geometry. Unfortunately, my last experience with the caliper was not good. The then current crop of calipers were all 2.5" piston, even when identified as 2.375", That size piston requires a 13/16" or 7/8" master to prevent bottoming out.
Bill

Wilwood sells cast-iron GM metric calipers with a 2.375" piston (as well as 2.00", 2.50" and 2.75"), but they are new castings and are more expensive than the rebuilt aftermarket units that are now 35-45 years old and have have probably been re-bored several times.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
One other option is to just order the front brake kit from Wilwood Complete kit including a new hub

The big rotor kit is on my ser4 GT V6 car
YOU MIGHT NEED 15" WHEELS THE KIT WAS PROTOTYPED FOR STUDDARDS TIGER (GRASSROOTS MOTORSPORTS) AND IF IM NOT MISTAKEN ITS AN 11"ROTOR WHICH WILL FIT INSIDE A 14"WHEEL OR AT LEAST THE KITS/ ONES I BUILT. I was wrong about the rotor size on the Wilwood kit 11.75. Not 11" 1400+$

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Robbie (socorob) who used to be on here had the Nissan 720 rotor mounted backwards with RX7 Turbo II calipers. Would work fine with a 13/16 master cylinder. Here are some pics of his setup:

Attachments

• rotor revesed (1).JPG
    rotor revesed (1).JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 14
  • rotor front view (1).JPG
    rotor front view (1).JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 14
  • rotor adapter (1).JPG
    rotor adapter (1).JPG
    49 KB · Views: 14
  • mazda caliper bracket rear view (1).JPG
    mazda caliper bracket rear view (1).JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 13
  • brake upgrade (1).jpg
    brake upgrade (1).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a spare set of the Capri Calipers in good condition (recently rebuilt) Anyone interested?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wilwood sells cast-iron GM metric calipers with a 2.375" piston (as well as 2.00", 2.50" and 2.75"), but they are new castings and are more expensive than the rebuilt aftermarket units that are now 35-45 years old and have have probably been re-bored several times.
Barry, just checked the Wilwood site. They offer the GM cast iron "Metric" caliper in 2.00, 2,50" and 2.75" sizes. I found that many sellers had no idea they were selling new 2.50" calipers as 2.375". It seems the problem is a single mfg supplier, selling 2.5" models as replacements for the 2.375". Yeah, they do bolt on the same and will "work", but how well depends on the application. In my application, I found myself suddenly wrestling with MC bottoming.
Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
https://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperProd?itemno=120-8925

A piston area of 4.45 square inches corresponds to a piston diameter of 2.375 inches.

In any case, the difference in piston area between a 2.375" and 2.500" piston diameter is less than 11%. Did your problem with 2.500" bore GM Metric calipers happen to also involve the use of a 6:1 ratio brake pedal which results in a shorter than normal master cylinder stroke (and volume)?

Last edited:

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
YOU MIGHT NEED 15" WHEELS THE KIT WAS PROTOTYPED FOR STUDDARDS TIGER (GRASSROOTS MOTORSPORTS) AND IF IM NOT MISTAKEN ITS AN 11"ROTOR WHICH WILL FIT INSIDE A 14"WHEEL OR AT LEAST THE KITS/ ONES I BUILT. I was wrong about the rotor size on the Wilwood kit 11.75. Not 11" 1400+$
Im running 15". when I purchased the kit a couple years ago it was $1100. but my life is worth it!!!