• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 water pump gaskets

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Don't know if any other Darksiders have had problems locating water pump gaskets but here's my story. I was getting the Alpine ready to trailer it from Phoenix over to Kelly's in Yorba Linda for this weekend's Darksider gathering. I intended to surprise the guys by having it running, so I filled up the cooling system with anti-freeze. Have no idea what caused it to pee green all over my garage floor and couldn't see where it was coming from until I removed the alternator and overflow tank. Using a mirror I discovered two pencil lead sized streams coming from the underside of the water pump. Obviously a gasket failure of some sort. This engine has been together for several years and has never been started. Now I have the radiator out, fan and pulley off and the water pump removed.

I got on the phone and called every auto parts supplier in Phoenix and only two said they had the gasket ( this engine requires TWO gaskets, one for the water pump itself and one for the thermostat housing ). Of course they didn't have them in the store so had to order from the warehouse. Parts came in this morning.....guess what? Both places had the WRONG gasket. Their gaskets did not have the extension on the thermostat housing to cover the square hole ( the bypass built into the thermostat housing ). After much searching of computers and parts books we found the right gasket is for 2.6 and 2.8 Mercury Capri, 1972-73 only. Could not find a listing under Mustang II, Pinto, Ranger, or Bronco II for same gasket. Came up with a Felpro part number in a parts book but not listed in computers. Called Felpro and learned that this is a discontinued part. I then called every water pump rebuilder in Arizona....nobody has the gasket or would sell just one if they had it.

Started on the internet this afternoon trying to find said gasket. After several hours of emails and phone calls, finally found some at Northern Auto Parts in Iowa. They did not show the right gasket, but after a lengthy discussion and showing of pictures, the customer service rep recalled seeing same or similar gaskets in the warehouse. He went to find them and called me back with the good news that they had 3 of them under the old discontinued Felpro part number. I bought all three. They won't be here until middle of next week, so long story short, I won't be taking my Alpine over to Kelly Mathis' this weekend.

This is an indicator that these gaskets aren't easy to find and if you find some, it would be a good idea to buy them and stash them for later on. Ford dealers no longer carry them and chain stores apparently don't stock the one we need either. Sometime in the near future these gaskets will be like looking for chicken lips. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Cactusmasher, I can understand the disappointment on the last minute problems that do not have a simple resolve after planning to attend an outing....

I had a similar problem with fuel or lack of fuel in my '67 SV that stopped dead a day before our Columbia, SC Meet this April.

I have a set of gaskets for one of my 2.8 V6's from Felpro that have aged for several years in an old parts ware house. Just bet they are the right ones.

The (friend) had many and varied auto parts from his engine rebuild business for more than 40 years. That is where I got a "New" set of 74 heads that had never been on a car.

Will go have another look around soon just to resolve my curosity about the gaskets.

Coming along, but slowly on my V6 Conversion.

Imperialist1960

Donation Time
factory cut gaskets are overrated if there are none to be had

Auto parts stores sell gasket material in rolls.

Roll the paper out flat
pop the pump or manifold with spray paint
while paint is wet, stamp the paper with the outline
cut out gasket with Xacto knife

If you go wide, you can always trim it with the knife after it's installed.
I'm also nutty for K&W copper coat sealer. Green with copper flakes in it.

----

If I were in your spot, I'd put a booger of JB weld up into the hole.
Ought to hold for you to run the car around the block if that's your goal.
Would probably go 100k miles for all I know.

kmathis

Donation Time
I guess this is one of those things that are hard to figure out, you can buy a new or remanufactured water pump, and it comes with a gasket, you can buy a Felpro engine gasket kit and it comes with a water pump gasket, but you can't buy the gasket by itself...Crazy.

Sure would have been fun to have you out with your car...:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I guess this is one of those things that are hard to figure out, you can buy a new or remanufactured water pump, and it comes with a gasket, you can buy a Felpro engine gasket kit and it comes with a water pump gasket, but you can't buy the gasket by itself...Crazy.

That is why God created ball pein hammers and cereal boxes.

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
That is why God created ball pein hammers and cereal boxes.

Bill

Not too keen on cereal boxes for that task but most autoparts stores sell a roll of a suitable material for making your own.

The stock alpine gaskets are so old these days they seldom fit, so even a new gasket set tends to need one or two to be made from scratch.

Firebuff

Donation Time
water pump..!!

So I have a water pump that was in a box of extra parts.. send me anpart number and I'll check if it works.. cut you a heck of a deal. By the way it's brand new..

Mike

pcmenten

Donation Time
If it weren't so late, and my gaskets across town at my new place, I'd scan a water pump gasket on my printer and send it to you. You could use the image to have a printer print the outline on a sheet of craft paper., then just trace the outline with your exacto knife. I'll bet a typical inkjet printer could handle the thinner gasket material. Or look for something line a large manilla envelope and cut out a 8 1/2 x 11" piece to use as a gasket.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
V6 water pump gasket

Thanks to all the forum guys I have heard from. I found 2 gaskets at Northern Auto Parts in Iowa. They came in the mail yesterday. Also am working with Firebuff on our forum regarding possible purchase of a new water pump with gasket. It never hurts to have a spare or two for backup. Appreciate the help, thanks again.

pcmenten

Donation Time
Just curious: Is there any reason not to just use a silicone or other gasket maker?

Hi Jim. I once owned a 80's Chevy Suburban. Chevy thought it would be a good idea to use RTV instead of gaskets on valves covers and the like. That Suburban lit its engine on fire (my brother was on a trip with it) from the oil that leaked from that valve cover.

I heard that Chevy was painting their engines black in the 80's so that the oil leaks wouldn't show up so bad. Personally, I'll never use RTV as a substitute for a gasket. Other people seem to swear by it.

Paul

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Here's a picture comparing the two. The one on the left in the smaller red circle is the correct one.

Attachments

• Components (6a).jpg
    Components (6a).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 38