• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Transmission arm

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey all, been working on my car the past couple days (even had a nice little electrical fire, NOT a good thing when your head is under the dash. No one hurt, but I think I fried the ignition switch and dash light switch). Anywho, test fit the transmission again and I still have the problem with the throwout arm hitting the transmission bump preventing it from going vertical (it hits and stays at about a 45 degree angle). How have others gotten around this? Cut out the tunnel by the gas pedal? Modified the transmission arm (which is what I would prefer to do, but I don't want to mess up the angle)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and pics would be even better.

Thanks!

- Garet

pcmenten

Donation Time
I missed seeing which engine/transmission you're using. If it's the V6/T5 then, yes, you need to relieve the transmission tunnel near the gas pedal to clear the clutch release lever.

A little bit later, I'm going to edit this post and hijack this thread to discuss the safety of high amperage wires under the dash. I'm thinking I'll leave most of the 10-14 gauge stuff from under the dashboard.

Last edited:

gordonra

Donation Time
Hey all, been working on my car the past couple days (even had a nice little electrical fire, NOT a good thing when your head is under the dash. No one hurt, but I think I fried the ignition switch and dash light switch). Anywho, test fit the transmission again and I still have the problem with the throwout arm hitting the transmission bump preventing it from going vertical (it hits and stays at about a 45 degree angle). How have others gotten around this? Cut out the tunnel by the gas pedal? Modified the transmission arm (which is what I would prefer to do, but I don't want to mess up the angle)? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and pics would be even better.

Thanks!

- Garet

Hi Garet,
You need to open the tunnel up more near the gas pedal. Make the tunnel cut further up the firewall and spread the tunnel more with a scissor or hydraulic jack.

Rich

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Heh, but what if I don't want to open the tunnel up more? Has anyone modified the arm?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
You will probably change the angle of the Clutch Slave Cylinder too much changing the arm.

Do what JOse recommended and "push" out the tunnel using a Hyd ram or scissors jack like gordonraalso recommended.

You will be way-a-head.....

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Garet, I made a cut and fabricated some sheet metal to form an opening/box big enough to give the arm the distance it needed to complete travel and maintain the proper angle. Also put an opening in the box to more easily get to the pin /clevis, from the inside. If yours is similar to mine you will also have to do a box for the speedo cable as well.
I think I have some pictures of what I did ; send me your email address via PM and I will find and send them to you, if interested.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Garret,

Don´t mess with the clutch arm, you will be opening a hole can of worms. Justmodify the floor so the arm clears and you´re done.

Jose

Heh, but what if I don't want to open the tunnel up more? Has anyone modified the arm?