• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

v6 performance dyno

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello,

I have a v6 dyno chart in my file but no info on where it came from.

Does anyone recognize it?

Thanks in advance,

2.8 Ford V6 001.jpg

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
That is not an actual dyno sheet; it is a simulation (aka, wild guess) generated by a computer program.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
That is mine that I did for you a while back. Though speculative, the Performance Trends engine simulation would be flywheel HP with no accessories. Open headers and minimal porting inputs were used. Deduct around 20% for rear wheel HP.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
That is mine that I did for you a while back. Though speculative, the Performance Trends engine simulation would be flywheel HP with no accessories. Open headers and minimal porting inputs were used. Deduct around 20% for rear wheel HP.

Thanks!

The chart was stored away in a Mac that crashed and burned.

Those are pretty good numbers and I'd think are reasonable for my 2.8 build.

If anything they might be conservative given the head and valve work that's been done.

Thanks again,

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Allan, Was that the same Comp Cam that Dan R. used? 150HP at rear wheels sounds about right for midrange performance cam, headers, Offy intake and 390 Holley on the small V6. I compared the Performance Trends desktop dyno programs with their large library of real Dyno tests and it compared favorably. Excellent for comparing different cams. That is why I bought it. They have a porting analyzer and suspension analyzer I will buy also when I retire in 4 months!

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Jim,

I'm using the cam v6 Jose recommended.

The heads received considerable speed shop attention and exhaust through Jose's headers.
An Offy intake and a Holley 390 sum it up.

The engine was built by a SC machine shop Dan recommended.

I'm having needle valve issues and hope to get a replacement at Summit this week. Setting the carb and hooking up the instruments are all that remain to be streetable.

Thereafter, as time permits, a Tiger rear end will be installed and 14" wheels. The rear end will need to be rebuilt with a suitable ratio to work with a T5.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Allan,

I know a tiger rear is a bolt in, but you still need a custom tailshaft, why not a ford 8 or 9"? Lighter lots of ratios and LSD options avaiavlr easily and in 9".. Probably unbreakable for a v6.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Allan,

I know a tiger rear is a bolt in, but you still need a custom tailshaft, why not a ford 8 or 9"? Lighter lots of ratios and LSD options avaiavlr easily and in 9".. Probably unbreakable for a v6.
I've never heard of anybody breaking an 8" in an Alpine that was running street tires. The ratio option for 8" is not real good. 2.80. 3.0. 3.25, 3.55, 3.80. 4.11. 4.62 Covers the entire range, but rather jumpy. A "bright side type" person would say it gives you choices that make a difference.

Bill

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks fellas.

I happened across a Tiger rear end “for cheap.” Maybe it’s overkill but it does bolt right in.
I’m not sure where I’ll find a gear set to replace the 2:88.

Steve Pace gave me some ratios to play with but first I’ve got to determine which T5 I have. The Mustang guys who sold it to me used it in a dirt track Mustang they raced but they sold the car, rebuilt the T5 and sold it to me. Unfortunately they didn’t keep the ID tag. They had a vague memory that it’s a WC version.

I have a driveshaft in place currently that hooks the T5 to the Alpine rear. I also have a Tiger driveshaft that will need the T5 yoke. It’ll need to be made to fit but most any driveline shop can handle that.

If I can get by Summit soon then the car should be ready to roll with a new needle valve but the gauge work I find tedious and easy to put off.

None of the SI gauges are being used except maybe gas. The SV Speedo can hook to a T5 with the right cable. That sets the choice to all SV gauges. A SV tach was recalibrated by Tom.

Currently the gas gauge isn’t cooperating so it may have to be an SI or SII to have the right # of gallons and also cooperate with the SI fuel level sender.

So I’ll get on it again soon.

65beam

Donation Time
Having known Allan for quite a number of years and knowing where I've seen him show up driving a Sunbeam I'd bet that he's building a car for cruising and reliability. I would be surprised if he went drag racing with his V6. Maybe he should give Doug Jennings a call and talk to him about the needed gearing. Doug's shop number is 937-252-3317

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Having known Allan for quite a number of years and knowing where I've seen him show up driving a Sunbeam I'd bet that he's building a car for cruising and reliability. I would be surprised if he went drag racing with his V6. Maybe he should give Doug Jennings a call and talk to him about the needed gearing. Doug's shop number is 937-252-3317
Not with Jose's cam.
Bill

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Absolutely I'd like to take the Series I on the road.

I'm day dreaming about the southwest, particularly northern New Mexico. What a great place to be in an Alpine, whether a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder model.

The car won't be pretty but the ancient respray at least is honest :) A few folks have mistaken it for faded factory paint but there are some overspray points in the engine bay.

Maybe I can erase them :)

I think the issue of which v6 cam is the right cam has had some good discussion. I understand the "Jose cam" does what it does further up in the power band than some folks prefer. This presents a technical decision I'll make as final after I'm driving and seeing first hand just how
the engine performs through all 5 gears.

This car won't be a daily driver although it could be, and swapping the cam is always an option.

However I don't object to being able to leave red lights in a hurry :) if gear #5 works well at highway speeds. I'm aware that a compromise is
probably necessary.

I do like the sound of the Jose cam though; it's wild and sure to draw favorable attention on Atlanta's streets.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
In follow up I wanted to mention that a “drag race” Alpine isn’t a bad thing necessarily. Acceleration has long been a part of the car scene.

I once tried my hand vs a T-bucket hot rod at a Southern California traffic light and was seriously embarrassed - I won’t try that again but some of the Sunbeams at that gathering would have been competitive.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks fellas.

I happened across a Tiger rear end “for cheap.” Maybe it’s overkill but it does bolt right in.
I’m not sure where I’ll find a gear set to replace the 2:88.

Steve Pace gave me some ratios to play with but first I’ve got to determine which T5 I have. The Mustang guys who sold it to me used it in a dirt track Mustang they raced but they sold the car, rebuilt the T5 and sold it to me. Unfortunately they didn’t keep the ID tag. They had a vague memory that it’s a WC version.

I have a driveshaft in place currently that hooks the T5 to the Alpine rear. I also have a Tiger driveshaft that will need the T5 yoke. It’ll need to be made to fit but most any driveline shop can handle that.

If I can get by Summit soon then the car should be ready to roll with a new needle valve but the gauge work I find tedious and easy to put off.

None of the SI gauges are being used except maybe gas. The SV Speedo can hook to a T5 with the right cable. That sets the choice to all SV gauges. A SV tach was recalibrated by Tom.

Currently the gas gauge isn’t cooperating so it may have to be an SI or SII to have the right # of gallons and also cooperate with the SI fuel level sender.

So I’ll get on it again soon.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
The rear end in a Tiger is a Dana 44 made under license there should be any number of ratios still available call Doug Jennings at Tiger auto

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The rear end in a Tiger is a Dana 44 made under license there should be any number of ratios still available call Doug Jennings at Tiger auto

The rear axle that was factory installed in Tigers is not a Dana 44, it is a Salisbury 44 and few stock parts interchange.

What gear ratios are readily available for a Salisbury 44 as used in Tigers?

Unfortunately, Tiger Automotive closed a couple of years ago.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The rear axle that was factory installed in Tigers is not a Dana 44, it is a Salisbury 44 and few stock parts interchange.

What gear ratios are readily available for a Salisbury 44 as used in Tigers?

Unfortunately, Tiger Automotive closed a couple of years ago.

3.07, 3.54 and 3.73..

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The Dana 44 also has a 3.31 available. I like the 72-75 Jeep CJ5, Jeep Commando and Postal Jeep axle. One piece flanged 30 spline axles. Much stronger than the separate hub axles in the Tiger. The main difference between the Salisbury in the Jaguar and the Dana 44 are the size of the ring gear bolt holes.