• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Exhaust Planning

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Although I am many months away from putting an exhaust system in my car, I want to do any necessary modifications before it goes to the body shop. My inclination is to run the exhaust out the back, if only to keep my wife happy (those fumes again). Since I also want maximum clearance, I know that involves cutting a hole through the cross-member and at least shortening the battery box. Which brings me to two questions:

1. Not having access to a torch or plasma cutter, I’ll have to improvise on cutting the cross member. It doesn’t look like it is too thick and I am thinking that I could use bi-metal hole saws to cut most of it out, then clean it up with a small cut-off wheel. Does anyone see any problems with this approach, or know a better way?

2. I really don’t want to lose the trunk space (gotta have room for the golf clubs), so I’d prefer to keep the battery in its current location. I understand that there are gel batteries that are low enough profile to work. Can anyone recommend a specific make and model for me? Also, I’d appreciate any advice (and measurements) on cutting and then repairing the box. I’d like to take as little off as necessary, but want to be sure there is enough clearance for the exhaust system.

Thanks in advance. Any other advice, suggestions and discussions on planning for the exhaust system will be much appreciated.

Jim

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, how short does the battery have to be? The group 41 battery is only 6 7/8" high. A couple of others are in that size range.

Bill

dmich2

Donation Time
You mean to tell me golf clubs.....IN A BAG !!!!!!!!! :eek: will fit in the trunk????????

Dennis

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
You mean to tell me golf clubs.....IN A BAG !!!!!!!!! :eek: will fit in the trunk????????

Dennis

Sure. Its easy. Take out the woods. Place the bag in the trunk. Now, slide the grip end of the woods into the access hole in one of the side panels that cover the gas tanks. The woods should then fit comfortably in the trunk, resting on top of the bag. Takes about 10 seconds longer than it does putting them into a larger trunk.

Three things: 1. I use a light weight carry bag. This might not work if your bag is the size of the one Rodney Dangerfield carried in CaddyShack.
2. I never travel without extra oil, water, hydraulic fluid and a large bag of tools. The golf bag still fits.
3. When you close the trunk, be sure the supports aren't going to hit your shafts! That could ruin your day.

Cheers,

Jim

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Jim, as far as the holes in the crossmember go, you are correct that a good quality (Greenlee) holesaw will wirk.
As a bit of advise, what I do when trying to run a holesaw through on an angle (which is what you'll need to do) rather than cutting a hole through each side, then ovaling them out and hoping your in the ballpark, what I have done is get a good quality spotter bit that fits your mandrell.
The spotter bits are ussually about 12" long. You center the bit to where you want your exhaust to run through adn the drill bit shoul have enough length to go through both sides of the X-brace. Now here's where you need patience, just let the holesaw SLOWLY chew it's way through, it will want to bind if you don't go REAL slow.
You can run it through all the way from one side, or once you've cut one side go at it from the other side so as to keep an eye on the holesaw bit.
Lastly (i'm out of breath) if you chose a holesaw to fit a given pipe dia. larger than what your exhaust will be, you can run a piece thru and let the bodyshop weld and trim it giving you a nice "factory" looking hole.
Whew.
Hope that wasn't too much info, just trying to be clear.
Have fun!

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Now you tell me about the hole saw with the long bit. I used my saws all and a grinder.
Jim send me you email and I'll send you photos of my finished exhaust holes.

Rob

***alpine61@comcast.net***

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Jeff and Rob. That makes perfect sense. My plan was to try to duplicate the stock hole as much as possible, then just figure that the exhaust will work one way or another.

What did you two do about your battery box?

Rob, I'll send you an email shortly.

Thanks again,

Jim

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I had a '65 Tiger, 1967-1969, and both of the mufflers were totally wasted when I got it (leaded gas?), after about 25,000 mi. I took it to a muffler shop (in NC--probably Midas) and asked the guys to fix them. They said, "Wayul, there ain't no parts we got for thather car." I said, "So what can you do?" They said, "Wayul, we can sticka coupla glass-pacs in thar." I think it cost about $50 and it sounded great! No telling what this would cost these days.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I had a '65 Tiger, 1967-1969, and both of the mufflers were totally wasted when I got it (leaded gas?), after about 25,000 mi. I took it to a muffler shop (in NC--probably Midas) and asked the guys to fix them. They said, "Wayul, there ain't no parts we got for thather car." I said, "So what can you do?" They said, "Wayul, we can sticka coupla glass-pacs in thar." I think it cost about $50 and it sounded great! No telling what this would cost these days.
Hi Sam,

I don't recommend using glass packs on a V6 conversion. I don't know why, but a six cylinder engine produces a pretty loud rasp when you use glass packs. Back in the fifties, all the guys with six cylinder Chevies, would split the exhaust manufold and use the glass packs. You could hear them coming a mile away. A friend of mine used glass packs on his V6 conversion, because the day he went to have the exhaust system put on, the shop only had a pair of glass packs, so he got impatient and had them put them on., instead of waiting a couple of days to get the turbo mufflers.I could hear him coming way down the road, when he would come to visit me.

Jose:)

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks, Jose. As I recall (all these 40 years later), those twin glass-pacs (cylindical cannisters--about 18" long) on the 260 sounded fairly moderate. At least they were better than all that exhaust leaking into the car from the burnt-out factory mufflers--and the ungodly noise they made! On a V6, who knows? It's going to be awhile before I get to this point anyway.

Sam

Slainte

Donation Time
As always, Jose knows what he's talking about. I left my battery box alone and routed the exhaust in a pretty accurate rendering of the Gordian Knot. Because I wanted to keep maximum ground clearance, I went with a couple of glasspacks which fit comfortably. Sadly, the glass unpacked very quickly (2-3,000 miles, +/-), which encouraged the local LBC club to dub the car "The Screamer". At least, I think that's what they call it, as I seem to have lost some of my hearing. I would recommend that you find some space in the boot for your battery, head things as directly as possible to the rear-end, and fit a couple of real mufflers back there.

Although you've probably seen them elsewhere, I have a couple photographs showing what looks to be an excellent routing job. If you'd like, let me know and I'll send them along.

Ryan

JonPiz

Donation Time
As always, Jose knows what he's talking about. I left my battery box alone and routed the exhaust in a pretty accurate rendering of the Gordian Knot. Because I wanted to keep maximum ground clearance, I went with a couple of glasspacks which fit comfortably. Sadly, the glass unpacked very quickly (2-3,000 miles, +/-), which encouraged the local LBC club to dub the car "The Screamer". At least, I think that's what they call it, as I seem to have lost some of my hearing. I would recommend that you find some space in the boot for your battery, head things as directly as possible to the rear-end, and fit a couple of real mufflers back there.

Although you've probably seen them elsewhere, I have a couple photographs showing what looks to be an excellent routing job. If you'd like, let me know and I'll send them along.

Ryan

Any chance you can send me the same photos for my proposed conversion

Thanks
Jon:)

V_Mad

Donation Time
I took an angle grinder to the battery box, all around the top edge until the box dropped out. Then I cut down each corner about an inch or so, and folded it out on each side to make a flange. There was just enough clearance for the Tiger exhaust, and the top of the battery that I already had in there. Lucky I guess.