• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 exhaust options

wile coyote

Donation Time
Purring down the road now. Well worth the work. Currently using a pieced together exhaust system like Mike previously showed. Using a 2" system with a flex tube behind Jose's headers, going to a 12-15" straight section to a small muffler outside the frame under the seat with a 45angle out the side in front of the rear tire. Exhaust clamps seem to stick down to far and have hit a few bumps.

Any ideas on the best options for a custom exhaust using Jose's headers and not cutting through the frame? Routing? What size pipe? I anticipate getting the fiberglass hardtop, so going all the way out the back would probably be good. I thought I saw some pictures on the site a while back but could not locate them again.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Wile, If it was me, I would pie cut and weld where the collector starts and turn the headers into straight back like the ones Dan offers. 2" is fine for the little V6. I would use a H pipe crossover also. Run the exhaust all the way to the rear of the car. Spray a stripe on the bottom of the duals and where it discolors or burns try to put the crossover there. You may have to compromise for clearance front to back. I like the Dynaflow turbo type mufflers with short glasspack resonators at the back.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Wile. With Jose’s angled headers already in place, my ‘solution’ of just using available parts off the shelf and tucking it all along the sides was meant to be a ‘quick fix’ just to get the car on the road and driveable. I still think the best/proper way is the straight back Tiger setup.

However, I managed to finess the 2” exhaust pipes pretty much out of sight with exception of the side of the small 12” Thrush mufflers (anybody remember back in High School using Thrush Cherry Bomb glass packs that you would torch the insulation out of to make them appear still street legal but now extra loud? ) and the angle cut exhaust tips in front of the rear tires so now I really like the different look and low V8’sh sound of a short dual exhaust. I don’t think I’ll change it.

wile coyote

Donation Time
Love the way it sounds. I have the 13" wheels from Victoria British, so mine may sit lower than others. Not quite enough clearance. Custom exhaust may help me remove some clamps and tuck in a little better. Just thought someone may have pics to compare to.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think the idea of the H-pipe has been brought up before. Is there any benefit when using one on a V-6? One is used on a V-8 because of the firing order firing two cylinders in a row on the same bank, creating a standing wave in the exhaust. The H-pipe helps reduce the exaust pressure and aids in scavenging. Also reduces the “hammering” of true dual exhaust. Google V8 and V6 firing orders and you’ll see what I mean. Since the V6 alternates banks on every power stroke, what benefit would an H-pipe serve?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I've found the addition quiets the system down and helps low end a little. Basically a balance tube.