• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Crankshaft Pulley bolts.

kmathis

Donation Time
Well, I am ready to put my car into paint and when I was removing my radiator I noticed that the crank pulley on my V6 was wobbling - not a good thing. So, I pulled my pulley off the crank and found that the center piece, that keys onto the front of the crank shaft, is separate from the part that the belt goes onto. Now, originally there was an additional pulley bolted onto the crank pulley, so, when I removed it, I didn't think those bolts had anything left to do, so I got rid of them.:eek: Now I know that you have to put those back in to hold the whole assembly together.

Now, mind you, Jose had told me this quite a while ago, but it obviously went in one ear and out the other, or somehow, I didn't think it applied to me, but the good news is that despite all of my racing around, no damage was done.

Attached are a few photos of when I pulled the pulley off, and then one with all of the correctly installed bolts. Just in case there is someone out there that doesn't think those bolts are required once the additional pulley is removed.:eek:

Scheduled to go into the paint booth next Saturday...I will record the event.:D

gordonra

Donation Time
I like the contrast of the black pulley and the plated screws. :D

Glad there was no damage done!

Rich

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you look at it, the only thing to keep the pulley from spinning on the keyed part that bolts to the crank is a small pin. This is for alignment when the pulley is mounted and could easily shear off and move the timing marks. The bolts are definitely needed.

kmathis

Donation Time
You're right, Mike; that is why I wanted to post it, just in case there were any others like me who may not have an eye for the obvious.:)

pcmenten

Donation Time
Quick related question; are those bolts 8mm x 1.25? That's what's on the Ranger pulley but my Mustang II seems to have either boogered threads or a different threaded bolt.