• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Conversion and Restoration Pictures

Stormb10

Donation Time
Hi guys,
Wanted to post the pictures of our S2 V6 conversion and restoration as it is to date. I've been meaning to do this for a while now. I think it's always fun to look at everybody's pictures so here are ours. I will add new ones to the Flickr site each day or so. I hope you enjoy them. My son and I started the project in July in our small garage. We manage to move things around and make room. If you have any questions or if I can help others, please don't hesitate to ask. A special thanks to everyone who has given us so much help and advise-It has really helped. Painting the rest of the body tonight-fingers crossed. Thanks Tom

www.flickr.com/photos/80798220@N05/

mferris

Donation Time
the "we got lucky, no rust on body" caption on one of the pics made me insanely jealous. congrats!

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nice Tom! Looks like your doing all the priming and painting yourself. Did you do any bodywork? It's gonna look killer with that engine in it!

Stormb10

Donation Time
Thanks for the nice words. I just finished painting the rest of the car tonight. Lots of fun. I think it came out well despite the compressor tripping the breaker right in the middle of the first coat. I had plugged extra work lights in to help me see and it was too much-left me completely in the pitch dark with a partially sprayed car. I was also trapped because the electric garage door opener was on the same breaker. So after feeling my way back to the work bench and manually opening the garage door part way I ran to the breaker box reset the breaker and unplugged an couple of lights. The rest went well. I did also learn a good lesson-if anybody is thinking of painting their car-don't wear a latex or nitrile glove on the hand that holds the spray gun, sweat collects inside and will run out the end of the glove and drip onto the car. I'll put some pictures of how it looks up tomorrow. On the body work, I didn't do too much mostly getting the panels straight. The one thing I did have to do was dig the gas fill out from about 2 inches of bondo. The previous owner had covered it up and painted over it. He moved the gas fill into the trunk!?

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Car looks fantastic, congrats! And thanks for posting the pictures, helps keep those of us in perpetual process motivated!

- Garet - V-6 still in progress, hope to have it done for my daughters HS graduation (she's 4 . . .)

kmathis

Donation Time
Nice paint, Tom...is it single stage? I did all of the prep work on mine and had the color shot in a booth, I used single stage urathane from Summit Racing. Pretty good stuff.

Your car is looking great.:)

Stormb10

Donation Time
Hi Kelly, thanks for the nice comments. Yes it is a single stage urethane. I'm using TCP Global's paint. So far I've been happy with it and their store is in San Diego so it allows me to go and ask them tons of questions. Thanks for the clutch slave picture and help too BTW. Tom

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Tom,

I love the way your V6 fits and how the color goes with the red of the Alpine. Congratulations on setting the engine and transmission in the car. Thanks for adding the latest pictures.

Jose