• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Using the Ranger timing cover

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi guys,

I just received an e-mail that got me to thinking. Since we are having trouble finding the Mutt II timing cover and water pump, why can´t we just use the Ranger timing cover and water pump. To be able to use the longer Ranger water pump, the radiator can moved forward and down a couple of inches. I have done this on a Seroies II Alpine, and all that was required ,was to trim about 1/4" of sheet metal from around the radiator hole, so the radiator can slip forward thorugh the bulkhead. you also need to trim a bit of metal from the stiffener in front of the bulk head. The radiator has to have the radiator cap fitting moved to the back side of the top tank, so that you can put the 90 degree fitting for the cap. I did this on socorobs Alpine seventeen years ago, and his Alpine is still running fine.

With the radiator forward a couple of inches, the longer Ranger water pump will fit. The only draw back, is that the body has to be modified a bit more, and the radiator has to have more work done to it.

Jose

gordonra

Donation Time
Jose,

I wonder if a guy could buy a radiator from someplace like Jegs, or have one made, that would fit in the space so things wouldn't need to be modified?

Someone on here posted a photo of their engine bay... it showed a new aluminum radiator. Could have been a custom though.

Just a thought...

Rich

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rich,

You could have a cross flow radiator made to fit the hole, but you still would need to drop it to clear the slope of the front panel, when you move it forward. If you didn´t cut the bottom of the radiator hole, you would have a pretty short radiator. When I mentioned trimming the hole, it was to be able to use your stock radiator housing, which would eliminate the need for a full custom radiator, and it´s cost.

Jose

Jim E

Donation Time
I would need to do a search to recall who did it but someone on here sent me pictures of a R/BII set up where from what I can tell they just cut a bit off the end of the water pump shaft and it fit without body mods.

Is there a problem getting the MII water pump? is it like the clutch pack going in and out of supply.

One thing if you moved the radator forward it coould make it easier to fit the bottom hose

While back I searched for a off the shelf aftermarket radiator and the only thing I could find that was even close was what I think they refer to as the Sirocco radiator.

Oh I have a MII timing cover if anyone is looking, guess I should post that in the for sale section.

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

Before you sell that Mustang cover, could you get some good photos of it for me?

Do you happen to have a Ranger cover to do a side-by-side comparison?

Thanks,

Rich

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I don´t think there is a problem with finding the 1974-1979 water pump, because none of my customers has complained about having trouble sourcing one. I recommend buying a new one, by the way. rather than a rebuilt one.

Jose

I would need to do a search to recall who did it but someone on here sent me pictures of a R/BII set up where from what I can tell they just cut a bit off the end of the water pump shaft and it fit without body mods.

Is there a problem getting the MII water pump? is it like the clutch pack going in and out of supply.

One thing if you moved the radator forward it coould make it easier to fit the bottom hose

While back I searched for a off the shelf aftermarket radiator and the only thing I could find that was even close was what I think they refer to as the Sirocco radiator.

Oh I have a MII timing cover if anyone is looking, guess I should post that in the for sale section.

Jim E

Donation Time
Not sure if I have a R/BII timing cover, maybe I know I had one not sure I kept it.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Jim,

I don´t think there is a problem with finding the 1974-1979 water pump, because none of my customers has complained about having trouble sourcing one. I recommend buying a new one, by the way. rather than a rebuilt one.

Jose

I just went to the local parts store. Had no problem at all.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,

As I recall the post you are talking about showed, but not very clearly, how to modify the shaft of the Ranger/Bronco II water pump. I guess it uses a screw on fan and the process involved removing the piece from the shaft that fan screwed on to. Once it was removed a bolt on fan could be used on the now shorter shaft.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Not sure if I have a R/BII timing cover, maybe I know I had one not sure I kept it.

Jim,

I think you sent it to me. I have one and I also have one from a 1983 engine. I'll shoot and post pictures side by side and see if it might work. From a casual glance, they look alike except for the thermostat housing. I'll post and you smarter guys can debate the issue.

Jim E

Donation Time
Jim,

I think you sent it to me. I have one and I also have one from a 1983 engine. I'll shoot and post pictures side by side and see if it might work. From a casual glance, they look alike except for the thermostat housing. I'll post and you smarter guys can debate the issue.

Nick I sent you a MII cover or R/BII cover? Know I have sold a few MII covers do not recall ever selling a R/BII cover unless I sent it by mistake.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Scott,

I haven´t found the electric fan to be the answer. Most fan manufacturers say to not put the fan in front of the radiator, because it actuall blocks the radiator. There isn´t enough room behind the radiator to fit it either. I have found the engine mounted fan to be most efficient.

Jose

Is there any problem with using an electric fan?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Jim,

You sent a timing cover witht he chassis. I'm not sure which it is but like I said, I'll post pictures.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
If someone has the Ranger timing cover to post a pic from, I have a loose MII timing cover that I can post a pic from.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I think I have both at home. I'll look around when I get back and post pictures if no one beats me to it.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The only viable options for using the Ranger timing cover, is to either move the radiator forward and down, or shorten the water pump shaft to where the over all length is the same as the Mustang II pump. The Ranger timing cover can´t be modified to work with the Mustang II water pump, because the bolt pattern around the thermostat housing is off. There´s no way to change that.

Jose