• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Upper A Arm angle

socorob

Donation Time
Does anyone know offhand what the relationship of the upper a arm is to the ground at ride height? Im guessing it angles down from the fender out to the wheel. If that is so, has anyone lowered the mounting point of the upper a arm for a better camber curve? I know old Mustangs suffered from the same problem and there are kits to lower the mounting point, or people just redrill new holes like this:
http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/drop

Has anyone done anything like this on an alpine? I think it would be a cheap way to improve the handling if it could be done.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Robbie, The new Wilwood/Morrison spindles do the same with taller upper balljoint. I think I'm going to use standard Mustang II and just lower the mounting for the A Arm. I want to use close to stock Alpine lengths to maximize fenderwell room. May use a MGB rack as it is inexpensive and close to ideal width. PM or Email me if you are working on something or want to share ideas.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
a arm

The Wilwood pro spindles are .50 taller than stock this changes the front roll center we're using them on the stuff we build, they are not handed left to right like the mutt spindles as the steering arm bolts on.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey, Thanks for the info Joel. I knew they were taller, that surprises me only 1/2". Do you mount the upper A arm at a downward angle to increase -camber gain? I'm thinking of building a jig to experiment with. I'm thinking -1 per inch loaded while cornering but 0 to-1 straight ahead would be good all around. Also 4 degrees camber and 1/16" toe in.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
A arm

Jim,

All the a arms are horozontal to the rack, send ne an email and I'll send you a pic of the crossmember in construction Jkgriffs@yahoo.com by the way we're runing 3deg caster and 1 deg neg camber per wheel, we never plotted out the camber gain.

Joel

socorob

Donation Time
I have just been trying to see all ways to try to improve the stock alpine front suspension without breaking the bank. Right now I'm just looking at every angle I can find (no pun intended) on how to make it even a little better. I had surgery on my shoulder, so I've been out of commission for the past 2 weeks, but will be back on it soon.