• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Unexpected find on 67 Alpine

sunny67

Silver Level Sponsor
I had a strong gas odor in the trunk and felt gas under one of the hoses on the transfer tube. After I removed everything I found these imperfections on the outside tubes. There’s a welded patch on the drivers side and a round dent from a punch on the other. They seemed to be located in the same mirror image location plus based on the paint and hoses I removed, I believe they are original to the car. The welded spot is close to the hose with gas under it and could possible be the culprit.
Two questions: 1. Was this common in ‘67? and 2. What’s your thoughts about having a muffler shop manufacture replacement tube?

Attachments

• B679A451-0D17-4A56-80F3-B268299E3466.jpeg
    B679A451-0D17-4A56-80F3-B268299E3466.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 55

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The pipes look original. I doubt the punch on the pipe is original. It should be easier/cheaper to obtain replacement parts, or repair the parts you have, rather than manufacture replacements.

Mike

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had a strong gas odor in the trunk and felt gas under one of the hoses on the transfer tube. After I removed everything I found these imperfections on the outside tubes. There’s a welded patch on the drivers side and a round dent from a punch on the other. They seemed to be located in the same mirror image location plus based on the paint and hoses I removed, I believe they are original to the car. The welded spot is close to the hose with gas under it and could possible be the culprit.
Two questions: 1. Was this common in ‘67? and 2. What’s your thoughts about having a muffler shop manufacture replacement tube?
I agree with Mike. I have these at $15/pr. plus shipping. If interested plz send a PM.

Thx, Mark