• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Under-Ride Traction Bars

blownhorse

Donation Time
Just removed from Series II that I am parting out. These traction bars bolt on in place of rear axle plates and pivot on front spring perch. They are old, but in good serviceable condition. Also included are shock plates that are part of the traction bar installation that relocates the lower shock point more vertical for firmer ride. Combined, these two items will definitely control tire spin or shake. $125.00 for everything, plus shipping. Contact me at blownhorse@msn.com, 316-796-0198, or PM here. Thanks, Jim

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just removed from Series II that I am parting out. These traction bars bolt on in place of rear axle plates and pivot on front spring perch. They are old, but in good serviceable condition. Also included are shock plates that are part of the traction bar installation that relocates the lower shock point more vertical for firmer ride. Combined, these two items will definitely control tire spin or shake. $125.00 for everything, plus shipping. Contact me at blownhorse@msn.com, 316-796-0198, or PM here. Thanks, Jim

Do these weld on or clamp on at the front? Are they the Traction Master units.

blownhorse

Donation Time
Thanks for the traction master link. The ends do have the M1 forging in them. I expect these are early versions because the pivot mount under the rearend is a forging vs. the plate design I see on the link. Also with these bars is a set of plates that relocate the shock lower attach point. I was asking $125 for everything, but may not be worth that if you can buy the bars for $130. If someone is looking for the complete setup that will need cleaned up, please make offer.

I believe I even figured out how to post a picture of the set.

Thanks, Jim

Attachments

• IMG00132-20110808-2122.jpg
    IMG00132-20110808-2122.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 65

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jim,

traction master do 2 types, weld on and bolt on.. the weld ons on more powerful cars have a habbit of bending (as seen in your pics) and also then tearing/cracking the body where they are mounted to it....

The different shock mounts that bolt under the spring plate is interesting.. the SI/II used lever shocks.. id say that your setup shows the SII had been converted to telescopics.. you got pics of what brackets/mods had been done to mount the shocks in the rear up high?

Also given all the descriptions of your car.. you have pics of it complete.. it sounds like you are parting out a period racer... you may be breaking a car with significant history... this unfortnatly happened a few years back to an ex-stirling moss raced alpine... needless to say this was discovered way to late to rebuild the car.. the unique bits were scattered far and wide.

Some pics of the car complete would be great if you could post them

blownhorse

Donation Time
Hi Alpine_64, I agree with your comments. Please search my thread in the racing section from 3-29-2009 with the words 'moe mountain massacre.' I exchanged multiple email conversations and photos with SunBeam 74 Steve. Yes, I hate parting it out, but I have been unable to discover the history. I even contacted student services at FDU to no avail. This car certainly was set up for road race activity at some time in it's history.

Oh, it also has a full set of Cosmic wheels on it that I am selling.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jim,

i remember that thread.. do you hve pics of the car you couls either post tot he forum or send.. i;d like to see it just out of curiosity if you have them time.

blownhorse

Donation Time
Hi Michael, You were right, the upper shock mount is also an adaptor mount that bolts in place of the lever type shock and provides the stud mounting for a regular shock.

I have now removed the upper mounts and will include them with the lower mounts and traction bars.

Also this car had one of the aftermarket rear sway bars that clamp to the housing. The pivot for the bar picks up the aft upper shock bolt. I asking an additional $20 to the package price for the complete sway bar setup.

I am trying to figure out where I put all the pictures I took of this car. As soon as I find them, I will post some.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael, You were right, the upper shock mount is also an adaptor mount that bolts in place of the lever type shock and provides the stud mounting for a regular shock.

I have now removed the upper mounts and will include them with the lower mounts and traction bars.

I am trying to figure out where I put all the pictures I took of this car. As soon as I find them, I will post some.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for looking for the pics, i'd like to see the upper shock mounts they fabricated, do they bolt into where the lever arm body usually does? as in have a thick monuting plate that then turns 90 degress to mount the shock.. did they require a hole in the rear decck for the pin to get clearence?

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Hey there Blownhorse, I'd like to buy this set up if it's still available.!
Email directly @:
cbaur(atsign)neoninc(dot)org

Cheers,
Cris