• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Two days of pulling gives amazing results.

Tullamore

Donation Time
Oct 2006:

IMG_5947.jpg

Then time was shifted to other projects.

Monday Jan 14 2008:

IMG_0367.jpg

Wednsday Jan 16 2008:

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The valance needs to come off and you need a new top valance section from Martel. I use them to guide me how much each fender needs to be pulled. If Martel's valance doesn't fit, then more work on the fenders are required.
Jan

Tullamore

Donation Time
you need a new top valance section from Martel.

I ordered parts from Martel before, a couple that will be used on this car, and I would never give him an order again. His parts are good but he is impossible to deal with and I did not get the parts that I ordered in the first place.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Maybe I shouldn't tell this story

When I was 19, I bought my first Alpine, it looked like yours. Left front stove in. My buddies dad owned a towing company. Having zero dollars to get it fixed, we decided to tie the back to a Maple in my yard and the front to the biggest rig his dad owned (no, we didn't tell him the plan). Three hours of pulling, jerking, yanking and other generalized abuse, we got it reasonably straight. Sort of. Turned left great, right, not so good. Long story short, I was amazed at how tough the car was, only a '55 Buick that my buddy owned was beefier.

I think your system is better.

Tullamore

Donation Time
Long story short, I was amazed at how tough the car was, only a '55 Buick that my buddy owned was beefier.

I have had many people who have seen it tell me that it is amazing how well the car is built. If it was pretty much any other car of that vintage only a crushed ball of sheet metal would have been left. Which is good for the person who was driving!

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Had a GT6 for a couple of years

Found a great new tub rust free and swapped out the old for the new. Just for grins, I jumped on the roof of the old tub and collapsed (insert fat joke here) it...boom. Your basic coke can. Couldn't drive the TR anymore with out claustrophobia. I remembered that old Alpine and the one I raced. Sold GT6 and bought my Alpine. The TR was a hoot to drive and I loved it but age changes things. (BTW, the tub weighed all of 232lbs.)

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve, Great story and great photos, but it does not tell the whole story. Were you able to straighten and re-use any of the front end sheet metal- fenders, lower valance, upper valance, Hood mount platform, etc?

Tom

Tullamore

Donation Time
Tom, what you see in the first picture of my second set of pictures is all that was reused. The frame rails were straightened and then strengthened. The rest came off a rusty car that was so bad it would have broken in half if the doors hadn't held it.

Here are some pics with new paint!

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, that's very nice. Looks like everthing is straight again. There's a lot of manhours in that car!
Jan