• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Turn Signal Issue

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
My right turn signal has stopped working.
I have pulled and checked all the light bulbs and compared them against replacement types from Sunbeam Specialties; all matched. Found one possible burned out bulb on the left parking light and replaced it.
Replaced the blinker "can" under the dash and they started working. When I then remounted light housings back in the car, the right turn signal stopped working again. Blinker "can" stopped clicking on the right but does when the left turn signal is on.
White parking lights in the front work.
Head lights and rear running lights work.
Brake lights work
Left turn signal works.
Right turn signal does not.
The lights appear to be grounded through the signal housings (pardon that term, I can't think of what the fixture is called!). Is there another somewhere?

One other thing: There are two connections on the tail lights. The lower one has two wires, one red and one green. When I pulled the tail light off and I stupidly did not photo the location and had to guess at which way it goes. (the right wiring for the similar light is side by side and the left is up and down...no help!) I guessed and the stuff worked but the right was brighter than the left. Switched the wires and both are the same brightness (Lucas dim). Does that make any difference?
Thank you for any thoughts.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Check your right signal housing for ground. They are notorious for working sometimes and then not
mainly because of the screws that hold them on. Sometimes if you have them too tight, they don't
seem to work. It's either that or your turn signal switch.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thx. I'll do that. I backed off the screws a bit but they weren't that tight and it didn't work. My thought right now is that when I probably had the two wires reversed I burned out the "can". The right side was significantly brighter than the left until I reversed the wires. Now they are the same. Will find another "can" and see. Are they standard like the old American cars?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
When you 'backed off the screws,' are you talking about the screws that hold the lenses to the housings? I was thinking of the inside wingnuts that hold the taillight housings to the body, which can come loose. The bottom ones can be tough to reach if you don't have skinny hands.

Last edited:

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
The wing nuts are secure. The top one gets to me! I was referring to the front but I have to really look at the grounding there. The lens are very brittle so I hate taking them off and the PO lost the clips so it is held on by sheet metal screws. I have to go out and find the clips and proper screws for it. Regardless, I am not thinking that is it. The other side is done the same way.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
If your left turn signal is flashing, your flasher can is fine.

Is it the original thermal-style flasher can? Are you using incandescent bulbs still?

I believe if one of the two bulbs is working, front or rear, then you should see a very rapid flashing. With no flashing at all, then likely it is the turn signal mechanism or neither bulb is working or neither has a proper ground. The running lights and brake lights at the rear share the same ground as the signal bulb. So if those are working, which you indicated in your first post, then your ground is good for the rear housing. Double check the rear signal bulb is not burned out.

Mike

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Might just consider reversing the leads that go from the indicator switch to the loom for the lamps. If the problem moves to the other side ..... there's your problem

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Mike. I am not sure what type of flasher I have. I pulled one out and suspect it was the original. I replaced it with a Sunb. Spec. sourced unit. Will look at the box. I am using incandescent bulbs; also sourced from Rick. I will check the bulb again. The odd thing is was that I got the turn signals working both sides which can happen I guess with a duff mechanism. The other thing is I believe, as I mentioned above, that I cross wired the back light as it was very bright compared to the left. When I reversed the wires the brightness matched the left. (I have never touched the left BTW) So, it is possible I burned out the bulb. Thanks and back to it!!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
"Reversing" wires should just change which bulbs are getting lit. That shouldn't cause a bulb to burn out. I would think differences in bulb brightness would be attributed to the quality of the connections - the connection providing power and the ground - or the bulb wattage rating.

Mike

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
"Reversing" wires should just change which bulbs are getting lit. That shouldn't cause a bulb to burn out. I would think differences in bulb brightness would be attributed to the quality of the connections - the connection providing power and the ground - or the bulb wattage rating.

Mike
My car was stripped, sandblasted, painted and put back together before I got it. Wonder if the wires on the other side are reversed (but that has nothing to do with the function issue). Nuts, I guess I need to go through it all. I assume (!) that the lights are grounded through the bolts holding them to the body...? I wasn't able to find a ground wire from the wiring harness.

Ok, my work plan is to look at the turn signal stalk connection, per suggestion above, and see if that is the issue. After that it is scut work going through each light fixture for bulbs, grounding and such. Off we go...

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
The "really bright" effect could be caused by energizing the brake bulb. I have personally experienced some pretty funky stuff when the intended ground wasn't good and the electricity sought other paths to ground.

Rule #1 - regardless of what your prior experience is telling you - check the grounds first.
Rule #2 - check the grounds again!

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh, one other thing. According to the WS Manual (SV) I have an L654 tail lamp assembly in the rear. It says that the bulb holders are press fit and can be removed by pulling the bulb holder out. Before I do something stupid, does this work in practice? They seem very tight and not willing to be moved.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
L654 is for series 4 and the lens attaches via inside screws.
L763 is for series 5 and the lenses have external screws.

I would suggest you don't mess with the bulb holders unless absolutely necessary.

Mike

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We put additional Earth wires throughout the electrical system. As mentioned above the indicators are a frequent source of poor earths and this leads to them not working. It is well worth doing what is shown in this video on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube.
Best Wishes,.

Tim R

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Banner day; I did something right for once, glad I asked. Thank you Mike. Apparently, I have SIV lenses on my SV car. There is one external screw on the small piece of the lens on top. The unit attaches through two wing nuts on the inside of the body and four or so small screws on the back of the unit allow removal of the bottom lens.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I've run extra grounds for the tail and side lamps as well. For the taillamps a wire from the top mount to one of the bolts for the rear gas tank mounts. For the side lamps from one of the mounting screws up to the clip where the head lamp grounds attach.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tracy,

I'd focus on getting the stuff working first, then add the extra grounds so things should continue to work as expected. :)

Mike

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jump wired the left turn light in the back to the right to test the steering column stalk. No soap. Wired it back and the left operated properly. Steering switch appears to be okay (see Volvo-guys suggestion above). Video was interesting and informative. Going out today to set up ground wires. I am not sure that is the issue because all the other lights on the right hand units (front and back) work; but it won't hurt anything. Am also checking light bulbs again. Unfortunately, I cannot get to a position to see the blinker can to check for any loose wires. May have to do that anyway. If I stop responding it's because I did get under the dash and can't get out... (Not interested yet in removing the dash board)