• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Turn Signal / Dipper 6 wire

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a six wire Signal Switch for my '67 SV Alpine that I am trying to install.

Presently, I am stumped because I can not determine what to do with the solid Lite Blue Wire.

I can not determine the location for it in the WSM on the SV.

It (the switch) has a "Dipper" function that flashes the headlights (It does not serve as the dimmer function).

Help if you can....

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Are you sure it's not a blue wire with white tracer?

The 6 wires should be as follows:
Brown - 12 V power for the headlight flash
Blue/Wht- output to the high beam circuit of both headlights
Violet / Blk - control wire for the horns - this wire goes to the horns and the spring leaf on the switch assembly contacts the steering wheel wiper so it gets grounded when the horn ring is pushed
Grn/ Brn- turn signal power - from the flasher unit
Grn/ Wht - signal to the RH turn lamps
Grn/ Red - signal to the LH turn lamps

And yes, the headlight action of this switch is to momentarily flash the High beams on, not switch between Hi and Lo Beams. When flashed wth this switch the Lo beams stay on, even while the high beam is being flashed.

Update: Looking at the pic from the e-bay listing linked in your post in the"Parts wanted" section, it seem pretty clear that the blue wire is what is listed in the dwg as Blue / White and it does go to the High beam circuit.

Tom

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom,

I bought the Switch probably back in 87-88 from SS as a replacement for the original that had a "tab" broken for the left turn portion of the switch.

I did nothing more than open the box and look at it until my recent restoration project for my '67 SV.

It is an original LUCAS Service Part # 34981.

It has six wires.

Brown (Bn)------------Switch Power
Green&Brown (GB)----Turn Flasher
Green&Red (GR)------Left Turn
Green&White (GW)---Right Turn
Purple&Black (PB)----Horn
Blue (Bu)---------- ?

What do you think?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Like I said in my edit ( about the same time you were responding), I think you can safely assume the blue wire is what the dwg calls blue/wht and is the wire that goes to the high beams .

Tom

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom,

I didn't finish what I started... hit the wrong key and since then I've tried to "stop" my anti Virus from scanning:mad:

I realized to late to change what I had typed.

As you so clearly stated the "blue" wire should go to the Hi Beam.

OK! I'll splice them together and see what happens.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom,

It works!!!:D

I spliced the Blue wire into the Headlight High Beam wire, turned on the power and clicked the Dipper and they flashed as designed to do! Great!

Thanks for your patience and expert advice.

burnstiger

Donation Time
6 wire turn signal switch

I just finished rebuilding my 6 wire directional light switch. Hooked up the 3 primary connections (not the Blue, Brown or Purple/Black) and the strangest thing! The high beam warning light flashes as well as the turn signal warning light. It didn't do this prior to the rebuiled. Any thoughts- I don't understand how this is possible?

burnstiger

Donation Time
6 wire switch

The non high beam flash switches don't have a Brown wire (or Blue wire) and they work.I just turn the key on to test the switches operation. The head light system are Blue/white and Blue/red. The directional light system are Green/white,Green/Red and Light Green/Brown. I don't see anywhere on the wiring diagram where these two systems intersect that would cause the high beam warning light to flash with the turn signal warning light. I'm missing something?

burnstiger

Donation Time
6 wire directional lights

Additional observations:

Head lights on:
* High beams on- neither high beam indicator or directional light indicator flash
* Low beams on- both indicators flash
* Head lights off- both indicators flash
*Head lights off, panel light switch off, both indicators flash
* Head lights off, panel light switch on (position 1 middle) both indicators flash
* head lights off, panel switch on (position 2 down) directional light indicator light only flashes. THIS is what I'm aiming for but with all other systems (head lights on as well).

Anyone please have some insight as to what is going on.

burnstiger

Donation Time
6 wire directional lights

I have an early Tiger but I understand the wiring is the same as SV4 and SV5. Maybe I've posted in the wrong spot but it seems to be germain to the topic and I am really stumped and would appreciate any help people could offer.

Thanks

mikephillips

Donation Time
Actually they do sort of interconnect. There should be a blue/white wire going through a 4 way connector that also attaches to the dip switch. My guess would be you're getting a current going through there, or perhaps another longer route, going to ground. When you get unrelated lights or accessories running at the same time it indicates that the path of least resistance to ground probably isn't going where you think it is. I'd get a light and start tracing the electricity and see where it's going.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
As burns noted, the brown wire is only needed to power the Hi beam flash.

I am not sure what your observations mean. When you say various indicators "flash", do you mean they flash whenever you pull the lever, or they blink continuously like turn signals? With the Blue, Brown , and Purple wires unconnected the Flash lever action should have absolutely no effect and the horn should not work. If the flash lever action does affect anything without those 3 wires connected, you did something wrong during rebuild.

In your "additional observations", I assume that is still with the 3 wires NOT connected??

Next step: disconnect ALL the wires to the switch and verify that all works correcty. high beams on and off correctly, High Beam indicator on/ off correctly. Turn indicator should not light.

Then reconnect one at a time.

Tom

burnstiger

Donation Time
6 wire directional switch

Thanks for the responses-

The flashing of both the high beam indicator light and the turn signal indicator light are with the Brown ,Blue and Purple/Black wires not connected and only when the turn signal lever is activated for signaling not pulling the lever forward to activate the high beam flash function.
The rebuild of the turn signal switch is so straight forward I can't see how I could have done anything wrong?
Your continued help is welcome.

Thanks again

Could there be something in the head lamp switch or panel lamp switch?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, that clarifies. I do not suspect the switch is the problem. It seems to me that something is miswired. Disconnect all the wires from the turn signal switch and verify that things work correctly. I expect you'll find some strange behaviour even with the switch disonnected.

Tom

burnstiger

Donation Time
6 way directional switch

Thanks, I'm going to try all suggestions. Will report back tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help. I can't stand things not working right.

Thanks again