• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tulsa buried car

skywords

Donation Time
It will be a ball of rust or will it? I know a fella that dug up a P-40 in Canada that a farmer bought removed the engine mounted it on pole to blow the frost off his trees and buried the airframe. I had a ride in that P-40 it was not to bad when they unearthed it. I hope the Plymouth faired as well.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Seems there are different opinions of the whole thing.
I think it's pretty cool.
Will be interesting to see it's condition given all the stuff they did to try and preserve it.
My guess is it will NOT be a case of rinse it off and drive away.
Will be a shame if the "Tomb" became a septic tank of sorts!
It's kinda cool that someone will win it's contents by a guess of the population of present made 50 years ago. I hope they recieve more than a bucket full of goo.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Its in WATER!

:eek:
This is the latest: http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=129390
This does not look good and we thought Sunbeams had rust weevils!
We were planning on attending the open car show with the Sky and Corvette but at this time not sure if anyone else will show up to see such a rust bucket :rolleyes: Maybe someone can do test on this rusty car and make newer cars more rust resistant, glad my parents never entered that contest to win the car :eek:

Donna
:D

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
What's with folks in Tulsa burying cars :confused: 2048? When was that one buried? What is it?

Hope it all works out !

Tom J

Hope my Alpine doesn't bury me before it's back on the road........

skywords

Donation Time
I bet that stuff is highly leaded :eek:

Tom J

Go to the airport and buy some 100LL (low lead) it has six times the lead of the most leaded car gas ever produced. Fouls spark plugs just for fun. But it sure gives an engine a wonderful boost of power and smells Lovely:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Go to the airport and buy some 100LL (low lead) it has six times the lead of the most leaded car gas ever produced. Fouls spark plugs just for fun. But it sure gives an engine a wonderful boost of power and smells Lovely:)

Rick, what do you think it would smell like in 50 years? I'm betting on varnish.

Bill

mikephillips

Donation Time
Water can always find a way in given enough time. Even modern ships have to pump the bilges, and they're made to sit in water all their lives.

Nickodell

Donation Time

That's what Matilda has run on for 22 years, ever since Sunoco 260 and Exxon Golden disappeared. Pennsylvania makes an exception for "Antiques and Classics" if the original engine design called for leaded. IIRC, originally AVGAS was 105 octane LL. I wonder why the drop? They put ethyl bromide in gas when lead was first introduced, which prevented most of the buildup on plugs etc. I suppose it has been dropped for EPA reasons, so now you get the plug fouling. Another good reason for doing a mag check before heading out into the Wild Blue.

The same line chief who has been gassing up our Bonanza, and its predecessor, for 11 years sticks by the rules, rigidly. He won't pump AVGAS into Matilda's tank (against the law, as it is a different fuel tax), only into the 5-gallon cans I bring ("after that you can do what you like with it. Run your tractor with it for all I care" [I did, once]). And they have to be metal cans so that he can ground them with the bonding clip before bringing the fuel nozzle over, just as he does the planes.

Rick; do you subscribe to Flying magazine? There's a great "I learned about flying from that" account in the latest issue.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Latest News on Beloved Belvedere

;)
They did a practice run yesterday on lifting the Plymouth Belvedere out of the vault seems to be holding together. See picture on this website: http://community.kjrh.com/photos/buried_belvedere/
The official removal will be at noon today and right now at 9:15am is thundering and raining. Unless they change the forecast Jim and I will be sleeping in tomorrow, I have no plans on sitting in the rain!

Donna

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh, Come on, History in the making :D You can do an article for the Marque, How not to store your car. Get a couple ponchos, some hip waders, and your insta-matic, head on down there and be "on the scene".

Tom j

65beam

Donation Time
gas smell

bill blue,
the 69 GT that i brought home a year ago had set for 31 years with over 9 gallons of gas in it.it stunk so bad that one of my neighbors say he can still smell it.i had to leave the cap open once i popped the lid because it started building pressure and blew the rubber fuel line.i didn't have to worry about the cats getting on the four cars in the carport due to the smell.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Rust Bucket

:rolleyes:
Well as most of us expected the Beloved Belvedere was a rusty mess. The keys were in the ignition what was left of the keys. The truck still had the gas container and it was in tact and still had the good stuff in it, they did not open up the gas can. The case of Pabst beer that was in the trunk but a few floated to the back seat. They took off the rust mud on some of the bumper and it was still shiny bright chrome. The actual time capsule was water tight so all the memorabilia was safe and like new, that was a find! 60% chance of rain all day tomorrow so I am sleeping in, glad we watched the live show on TV tonight! So don't bury a car unless you can make sure its in a watertight container, but all that water does not hurt chrome!

Donna

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Funny how the thought to bury gasoline and oil with it, of corse we still have those available.
Now the Schlitz on the other hand, just what were they thinking!
It just blows me away that they didn't consider ground water as a factor.
It was the first thing I thought of.
I wish I had been wrong, it would have been interesting to see how it would have faired without the water having done it's work.

Nickodell

Donation Time
There's a story behind every product.

Back in the 30s there was an ace pitcher named Milt Famey. Over 20 wins for seven seasons, four one-hitters. Then he started hitting the sauce. Schlitz was his favorite tipple, and he used to outdo Babe Ruth in the number he could sink.

Inevitably, it began to affect his game. The one-hitters disappeared. Rookie players began belting home runs off him. The control went. Still he couldn't put down the Schlitz. Finally, the inevitable happened and, after giving up 6 runs in three innings, including 7 walks, he was taken out by the manager.

The opposing team members were saddened, remembering Milt in his heyday. One of them looked at the Schlitz sign and remarked:

"That was the beer that made Milt Famey walk us." (Think about it).

Clue: think of the biggest city in Wisconson.