• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tube shock set up proper (Finally) Series 1

Dan Cooper

Gold Level Sponsor
A couple of years ago bought a kit for tube shocks from a member and some Spax for a later model Alpine. Messed around getting the upper mount worked out, then drove it around with the rear bottoming over moderate bumps. This year I finally applied myself and determined the shocks are too long for the kit bottom mounts and fabbed up some longer ones. Amazing ! the ride is transformed !

Attachments

• IMG_0470.jpeg
    IMG_0470.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0471.jpeg
    IMG_0471.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 71233973246__24D37CF5-9969-4447-BBC0-9CC302CF7A25.jpeg
    71233973246__24D37CF5-9969-4447-BBC0-9CC302CF7A25.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • 71344504215__69AA01D9-D88A-4E53-ABD2-D063BD6EE36D 2.jpeg
    71344504215__69AA01D9-D88A-4E53-ABD2-D063BD6EE36D 2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The problem is, the lower mount should not be hanging down below the rim. If you have a flat tire you could lose control and tear everything up. The kit for the early Alpine did not use the later Alpine shocks. It used 63-82 Corvette shocks that were much shorter.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I built this for my series 2 using KYB KG5501 shocks.
RIMG0869-XL.jpg

RIMG0866-XL.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The kit that Doug Miller developed was so simple and yet functional it is hard to believe Rootes did not do the same thing.

Doug passed the fabing to me. Check out my PDF for the Series I - II Shock Mount Kit by clicking on the GOTO: link below my signature.

Attachments

• Series I - II Rear Shock Monts - Bullduram     20210813_141043_resized.jpg
    Series I - II Rear Shock Monts - Bullduram 20210813_141043_resized.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Dan Cooper

Gold Level Sponsor
Interesting theory that the shock mount would be hit by a flat tire causing damage. I think maybe the perspective on the last photo was deceptive. I don't think its an issue for the lower mounts I made up. I agree that with shorter shocks the mounts others made might be more sanitary, but these work for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpeg
    IMG_0513.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
No theory, the lower mount will hit the road if you have a blowout. Why not use the shorter shocks designed for the mounts you had originally?
Jim seems to me that you should be using a shock that has enough travel for the application. not just sticking something on the car that you think works? good case in point when I did Nicks car. he had sourced shocks, I found that the travel was in correct for the car I raised the pickup point to correct the problem at bump the shocks would have been bottoming out kinda like using short springs on a tiger. but not addressing the ride height /shock travel. a little food for thought?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Joel, I agree on the travel. Just noting the lower bracket is too low. The kit Dan sells uses a shorter shock than the later series. It has around 5" travel rather than 7" on the later series. I doubt the later series uses all that travel. The MGB has a kit similar to Dan's and uses a Dodge Colt shock with 5" travel. No bottoming. If it was me I'd sell the longer shocks to a later series owner and buy the ones intended for the kit.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, I took another look at John's Rear suspension and his shock mounts...... seems as if Dan Cooper has the same connections, all very low and lacking IMO adequate road clearance as you described. Maybe just the angle of the PIC's....

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, John's is above the wheel rim which is fine. He also uses a shorter shock than the later series. Chrysler if I remember correctly. I'm just thinking about safety.

Dan Cooper

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan, John's is above the wheel rim which is fine. He also uses a shorter shock than the later series. Chrysler if I remember correctly. I'm just thinking about safety.
Yes I get it now. thanks for the input everyone. I hate to admit the SPAX were a mistake but there if is. I'll try trimming the mount but if the shocks bottom I will get the kit and some shorter shocks--I only drive the car and work in summertime in Maine. So a project for next year.

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have the Dan Richardson kit on my series 11......worked great

Attachments

• DSCF6687.JPG
    DSCF6687.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 27

Tom13

Donation Time
... similar design with Spax Shocks, but requires welding on the frame. Works for many years without problems.

Attachments

• Spax shocks Rear.JPG
    Spax shocks Rear.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

Tom13

Donation Time
.. yes , this is a Watt Linkage that I have also been using for many years. The rear
of the vehicle remains absolutely stable in the curve

alpine_64

Donation Time
.. yes , this is a Watt Linkage that I have also been using for many years. The rear
of the vehicle remains absolutely stable in the curve
Tom I've just realised it's Tomas from DE.. I'm very interested if you can start a thread about your car...seems many interesting engineering solutions.... from engine to suspension...what other tricks?

Tom13

Donation Time
I have already written a few posts about my modifications.

What is of interest to you ? I still have an adjustable camshaft gear to adjust the camshaft
on the engine. There is also the matching aluminum housing with removable cover to adjust
the timing without opening the engine.

Maybe a few other small things .

But can be that I have already posted ??

Tom