• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Trouble with Crane XR700 set up

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
A good friend of mine convinced me over the winter to replace my perfectly fine Pertronix system (which has worked flawlessly for 10 years) with the Crane XR700 system. Problem is I can't get it to work! The module doesn't show power getting to it yet all the hook-ups appear to be correct. The car spins but won't fire. So the car sat over the winter and continues to sit. Thinking about going to points and condenser just to get it back on the road.

Has anyone else installed this system in their positive ground Alpine?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Unless it was made as positive ground, I dont think it could possibly be wired to run as such.
At the very least, the coil would have to return to +12v and not ground.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Unless it was made as positive ground, I dont think it could possibly be wired to run as such.
At the very least, the coil would have to return to +12v and not ground.

No, there are instructions in the install manual for pos ground cars so it can be done. I'm just missing something or have a dud module.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Where is the Petronix you removed?

Mine works beautifully('67 SV 1725) !

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Scott,

I am a strong proponent of the allison/crane XR700 ignition (and just as strong an antagonist of the pertronics system).

I have one I can put on my alpine and measure some voltages for you if you want to put yourself in that mode. You will of course need a DC voltmeter.

Send whatever documentation you have for Pos GND connections and I will analyze it and tell you what to expect on your end to troubleshoot it.
I will tell you that there is no coil made that will function that way that the ignition is intended to run with the conventional coil. This becuase the coil functions in a flyback mode, and the secondary runs atop the 12v primary voltage. Connection of this to ground as would be needed on a pos ground setup will put the coil polarity incorrect, which will cause plug erosion for sure. Not to say it wouldn't run, but certainly not optimal.