• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Traveling tool kit suggestions

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Well I'm almost ready for vacation to Vegas next week. And yes the SV is my choice of travel. That's why I rebuilt the thing right!

I"m thinking on bringing some emergency breakdown supplies and would like some input from the group. Here is what I was thinking of:
-3/8 socket set
-3/8 ratchet
-3/8 extension
-3/8 universal joint
-flat blade screwdriver
-cross recess screwdriver
-adjustable pliers/channel locks
-wire cutters
-bailing wire
-duct tape
-control wire
-2 gallons water
-quart oil
-spare ignition parts
-spot light

Please give me any input or suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim

mikephillips

Donation Time
Fan belt
small assortment of nuts and bolts, 1/4 and 3/8 sizes should do
some of those universal bullet and spade male and female connectors in case
you have a connection break
pack of tail lamp bulbs, either for tail lamps or to make a basic test lamp with
a length of wire

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
A tow-rope to get you to the nearest garage in case you are not able to make a roadside repair. Jump-leads are also worth carrying.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
I would say over kill is in the works.. If you have not driven the car over 100 miles in the last year.. ALL of the mentioned will apply, if you drive it every day and know the car.. take only what you think you may need. The Pumpkin took Jane and I over 1200 miles up through,,BC. Canada and back into the states..
And the only thing that was fearsome was brakes, . We had some 16% grades up and down.. ..

If you do not have OD like I do, keep the revs down round 3750,, you'll be just fine. And 55-60 mph is not all that bad...
Cheers
and good ventures
OH and you do not need to drive at night...
Chuck in Oregon

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I'd make the suggestion to make froiends with any Alpine owners on the way or in Las Vegas. In the event of a problem, locals can help.

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
I like the input i get from the seasoned/experienced owners. Although ive rebuilt everything on the car (literally) and driven it some 1500 miles since, I am a bit leary of the trip since it is not running right now. The OD is in. I am taking it to Smitty this weekend and have him give it the once over before I leave.

I do like the make friends suggestion. Smart!

Thanks,
Jim

alpine_64

Donation Time
i would add:

brake fluid
electrical tape
needle nose plyers
a magnet
Rain-X
rags
top + bottom radiator hose

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I would add:

--spanners in 3/8" - 7/16" - 1/2" - 9/16"
--Marvel Mystery Oil
--set of spare spark plugs
--spark plug socket

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I think bringing the basic tools is fine. You're not traveling so far that if you had to call a tow truck you could.

Almost anything you need is a day away by either folks on the forum, or the usual suppliers, as long as you can get to a phone / internet.

Seeing as you'll be traveling through the desert, I'd bring water to drink, and plenty of cell phone battery. The usual light colored clothes and sunscreen.

Just my thoughts,

Rich

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I made a suggestion a few months back before SUNI about setting up a network of us for fellow members traveling. Didn't get much positive response so I'll offer this. Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger owners passing thru Phoenix, PM me prior and I'll send my contact info. If you get in trouble in the area, I'll share my garage and try to get you on the road again.

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Thanks guys,
More good thoughts I think I've got a good picture and list. Will add as follows:
-wrenches
-rag
-hand cleaner
-quart oil
-brake fluid
-needle nose pliers

Also will heed the call for non mechanical items Gordonra suggested:
-drinking water
-sunscreen (have 100spf)
-light clothes
-shades
-fully charged cell