• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission R&R

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
I am trying to lower RPM at 5th gear hwy speed. Found a fifth gear for my T5. SInce it has been a few decades I am wondering how long it would take to remove and replace the trans from my SV 2.8 Alpine.

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
I will hope that tag or sticker is still on. PO does not have info. Do you think that a trans pro would know T5 model by looking at it.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Not without the tag#. It's on the metal tag too. Without the numbers he would have to tear it apart. You need to know your first gear ratio and input shaft tooth count to determine math for OD fifth.
Do you have a granny low 4.03 first and .86 5th from a 4 cylinder Mustang? I would just pull what you have and get the right T5.

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
As to getting the correct T5 I have done some research and the box itself is usually $950. At my age I can no longer do the R&R work so it would cost another $1500 for teh R&R. Since the main app for the this car is autoX and shows I think that money could be better spent on a roll bar, cam, 4 barrel carb and cam. I just will have to drive in the slow lane getting to events. BTW I checked my tach against a digital tach and it was dead on so I know it RPMs at 3400 at 62MPH. It revs much lower when I drive at 55MPH

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
this is cool!

You mentioned in a previous post that switching o/d gears from a 4.03 first gear trans to a 2.95 first gear trans would not achieve the desired affect, but I tried it any way, what else is there to do during the Canadian winter! What I ended up with was roughly 1 3/4 turn of the out put shaft to 1 turn of the input. about a .25 o/d which would have given me an rpm just above idle speed at 60 mph.
I'll keep mucking around for a while but I'll have to get my act in gear by April if I want to get to the stovebolt get together at the end of april.
I hope to see you there
John

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
Dumb question. What about going with the trans that came originally with the Alpine? I know that it will not stand up to hard driving but for just going to and from car shows it wouild be adequate.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The original Alpine transmission won't work with the V6. It has no OD. T5 is the best, or Toyota. There is an adapter for the Mazda RX8 from England. The Mazda is only 6 speed state side but you can get a 5 speed from JDM (Japanese Domestic Manufacture) suppliers on EBay.

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
thanks for the input. i got sidelined by brake issues. New calipers, lines and MC and now the front brakes lock up every time they are depressed.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Install a Ford M5R1 tranny out of a 4.0 Ranger. Bolts up to engine, need only stock Ranger parts, very good ratios. Downside, it places the shifter 6" in front of the stock Alpine location. I tried two ways to overcome the problem. Solution #1, was a long, bent gear shifter. Worked great, was cheap to make. I did not like it because the shifter motion was as much up and down as it was for and aft. For Solution #2, I made a remove shifter that moved the shifter back 6". Perfect solution and not that hard to make.
Bill

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
Install a Ford M5R1 tranny out of a 4.0 Ranger. Bolts up to engine, need only stock Ranger parts, very good ratios. Downside, it places the shifter 6" in front of the stock Alpine location. I tried two ways to overcome the problem. Solution #1, was a long, bent gear shifter. Worked great, was cheap to make. I did not like it because the shifter motion was as much up and down as it was for and aft. For Solution #2, I made a remove shifter that moved the shifter back 6". Perfect solution and not that hard to make.
Bill
just a clarification. Does the M5R1 trans bolt onto the 2.8 bell housing or need to take the bell housing along with the M5R1.

Thanks

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The M5R1 for a 4.0 Ranger bolts onto the 2.8 engine, with one "do nothing" bolt hole left unused. The M5R1 does not use a separate bell, so no problems there.
I have some photos, although I cannot find one that includes a "dummy" shifter. But these should help. The heart of the shifter is an industrial 5/8" U-Joint. It worked fine. I later made another mechanism, using a 5/8" swivel rod end. It also worked and was easier to fab.
Bill

Attachments

• img_0362.jpg
    img_0362.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    595 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 24

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
After posting these pictures, I think the first one was taking when I was using the bent shifter rod. I kept the bend under the tunnel, but you can see that it placed the rod in an awkward position. As you can see in the last photo,he final setup placed the shifter in a vertical position. For the second mechanism, I reused the home made shifter rod.
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It is one of a half dozen license plate lights that I bought to use as interior lights. I had forgotten about this light. After a year or so it was replaced with an oxygen sensor readout, installed when I pulled the Pinto engine in favor of a Ranger Duratec.