• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Transmission fill / check plug

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi all,

I purchased another Alpine at an auction a couple weeks ago. Have been going over the car looking for the usual suspect deficiancies. The major concern is a very noisy first gear. I figure that checking the transmission fluid level might be a good thing as I know the car had rarely been driven for the last few years. I removed the plug on the transmission tunnel and could not find a fill / check plug. Was able to get under the car today and still could not find a plug. Are there any tranny's that did not have a plug?

It appears that this car has a series I engine and does have a non synchro overdrive transmission.

Note: Car is a frankenpine. I am fairly certain it has bits from all 5 series.

Any thoughts, comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, James

alpine_64

Donation Time
James,

What series alpine is it.. and where is reverse located on the gate?

While checking the oil is a good idea as a matter of course.. it's possible its the non-synchro version of the transmission which do have a noisy 1st.

65beam

Donation Time
transmission

many series 1 transmissions had a dip stick at the top right hand side of the gear box. the cars had a rubber plug on the top of the trans tunnel for access to the dip stick. you also filled it thru the opening. you may have this trans if you don't have a removable plug on the right side of the trans housing.

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
There is a rubber plug on the passenger side of the tunnel, where I expected it to be, but no dipstick or plug. That being said, It could be that part of the car is an SIII.
If the dipstick/plug is on the top, then I am guessing I would have to remove the tranny to check the fluid.

Thanks, James

65beam

Donation Time
trans fill

the early series 1 cars had the dipstick. i believe later cars went to the rubber plug on the side of the trans tunnel with the fill plug on the side of the case. this carried over thru the series 5. if you look at the trans at the top right hand side of the bell housing you should be able to see the dipstick if it's there. if not and you don't have a screw in plug on the right side of the gear box heavens only knows what you have.