• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Toolkit Tools - tube wrench / spark plug spanner

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
See thread entitled "Lucas distributor key" for background.

Finally we have the tube wrench / spark plug spanner. I have three different sizes! 7 3/4", 7 1/2", and 6 3/8".

I have an NOS tommy bar still with the Rootes part number sticker wrapped around it. Its length is the same as the 7 3/4" spanner. Based on this and the length of the pocket in the tool rolls I'm assuming the longest version is correct for our Alpines.

What do you have?

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 31

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought a spark plug spanner from Sunbeam Specialties. It came with a Rootes part sticker and the part # on the sticker matches the Parts Manual. It is 7 3/4" long.

Mike

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, that's great evidence! Does the part number match for all series Alpines?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Parts Manual only shows a single part # (9221515) for "Spanner (box) - sparking plugs". The Remarks section is clear, implying it was the same part # for all series.

I expect there is a chance that the part dimensions could have varied over the years without changing the part #.

Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
My Alpine spark plug wrench is 7-3/4" I think I have just about a complete set of original tools, but the vinyl wrapper is quite chewed up. But I find I need a much more complete set of tools to maintain my Alpine on road trips so I have a set of ratchets, (1/4 and 3/8), sockets, combination open end and box wrenches, test light, etc.,all in a Craftsman plastic tool box. But the one spark plug wrench I have used for all auto, truck, and lawn mower maintenance for the past 50 years is the original one from my first Alpine. It's in that Craftsman box with all the other stuff.

Tom