• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Toolkit Tools - Lucas Distributor Keys

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Lately I've been going through my various tool kits and have noticed some slight variations within some of our toolkit tools. In the interest of sharing and seeing what others might have, I thought I'd start a series on toolkit tools. Yes, I know there's an article on our website written by Ian Spencer on this, but we put that together 8 years ago and a lot has come to light since then. Plus, that article is based on a toolkit he had from an all-original 14,000 mile Series II (should have bought that car when I had the chance!) and we know there were changes beginning with the Series 3.

Anyway, this first installment involves the little Lucas distributor keys. Notice in the attached picture we have four - the first three are originals, the last a reproduction.

All say "Lucas" and have .014 and .016. stamped into them.
The first two have a "domed" rivet. I believe these are early types, the kind you'd see with TR3's, Jag XK's, and early Alpines (Series I and II). These are like the one you see pictured in the article. They are very similar to each other except the second one comes to a slightly sharper point than the first. I took a digital caliper (yes, I need to get a life) and the first measures 6.51mm, the second 6.29mm at the width of the end of the point. Why? Who knows.

The third variation has an "open" rivet and a more squared off screwdriver end (7.30mm). I believe this began around the time of the Series 3 but can't prove it. The last is a very nice reproduction for those who don't want to pay the sometimes stupid price of an original.

Take a look at what you have - any other variations out there? Anyone know with certainty which is correct for each Series Alpine?

Just curious. What we may discover is, like many things, the factory used what they had on hand at the time.

Comments? Share your pictures too.
Thanks.
Scott

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 44

65beam

Donation Time
keys

scott,
according to a couple guys I buy tools from the correct sunbeam key has the domed aluminum rivet.

65beam

Donation Time
keys

according to jerry, YES. send me your e mail and I will send you a photo of an original tool kit from 1965.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
according to jerry, YES. send me your e mail and I will send you a photo of an original tool kit from 1965.

Done. Send me what you have.

I used to have pix of that NOS Series V toolkit Jim Ellis owned. Need to find and post those too.