• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Took a ride today (Jan 20,2015)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Beautiful cool weather here in up state SC. Made a decision to take a ride in my '67 SV Commodore Blue. Got off to a great start drove around a while watching the smiles and getting a lot of greetings. Watched the fuel guage as it began to slowly move from near full to the half way mark.... then it struck me that it was moving faster than I was or should have been consuming the fuel.

Stopped at a pull off and discovered a fuel leak between the twin strom's.

Yep! The "tee" between the carbs had a very fine hair line leak. It was new when installed less than 1200 miles ago and less than 2 years ago also.

Sure is an obstacle to fix. Pulled the carbs loose and removed the "tee".

Now for a "fix" that is more permanent than the plastic one.

Any luck with a COPPER TEE?

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It was ugly, but I had luck many years ago with a brass T and two pieces of overlapping fuel line. The line on the right of the T went to the left carb and vice versa. 5 small hose clamps (one on each carb, three on the T) held it all together. It was a tight fit at the carbs, although thinner line would have helped, but worked and was completely leak-proof. If nothing else, this would be a very quick and easy fix until you came up with something more permanent and better looking.

65beam

Donation Time
ride

dan,
go to your local parts house such as a napa that carries brass fittings. they sell a T fitting with caps to go over the metal line and also the ferrules to seal. I don't remember the size but it has to be able to fit the tube on the side of the carb. you can use the plastic T to match up the brass fitting and caps. you can install a small piece of brake line to attach the line coming from the pump. tiger tom used to sell these a lot of years ago. I have a couple of them for use on the 69 after I use up the new plastic T's. you may need to shorten the tube coming out of the carb.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Repaired and replaced

All is well again! Bought a Tee for the repairing of the broken plastic tee between the twin strombergs.

EDELMANN Part Number 847444.

Ran the fuel hose from each carb up about 6" to the Edelmann Tee, tight fit but made sure the hose was not rubbing any where to cause a leak in the future.

Then fed the carbs from the fuel pump line.... .

No leaks... Works great! Nice drive the last couple of days. Thanks again guys for the tip!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,

Are your carburetor fuel nipples shortened or did you obtain a thinner than usual rubber fuel hose? I am not able to attach standard 1/4" ID fuel hose to my Stromberg fuel nipples. There is not enough space.

Thanks,
Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike I did utilize the std fuel hose. Gates 1/4" ID Fuel Line 27002 (80057).

Slipped the hose and clamps on as I placed the carbs on the intake. Played with it a bit but it fits nicely. Tightend the clamps while putting a bit of twist on the hose to keep it away for the carb shaft.

Send me you e-mail and I will send you a PIC of what I did.

I did not shorten the carb nipples.