• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Today is a good day

Limey

Donation Time
Harrington SII with Cantilever boot lid, Le Mans rear interior fitted in the Harrington Factory.
7 years to get here.
Today we installed the engine and front axle as they did in the factory; fully built with all ancillaries fitted from underneath. Took 1 hour to fit including the back axle. Not a single scratch in the engine bay.

Thanks to Greggers for putting me right on posting pics

Oliver
right engine.jpg

left engine.jpg

back axle.jpg

today is a good day.jpg

Last edited:

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Congratulations. Looks great.

The limit for a jpg is 96kb at 640x480. Feel free to send me your full images and I'd be happy to adjust them to the correct size.

Limey

Donation Time
Hey Greggers,

Many thanks for the kind offer I thought it was 19kb.

I'll try again but it is hit or miss if you get a pic or just a file name

Oliver

Limey

Donation Time
Thanks mate. Many hours of dicking about. Below is a pic of the factory featuring genuine lazy Brit workers fitting combined axle and engines. rear lamps, boot handles and fender script are already on as is steering wheel. Unfortunately you can't zoom in on this pic but on the original I have you can see the brake pipe configurations, the two dobs of paint on the back of the banjo and a chalked number; which gearbox bell housing the earth strap comes off and loads of period detail.

copy Alpine Rod Wallis A2s 016.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oliver it's truly stunning .. can't wait to see the body cone together and the interior.... The deep blue will certainly set the lines of the top off beautifully. What colour interior? Red?

Limey

Donation Time
Many thanks,

It's lake blue so the interior will be as per period Which I think can be lake blue with white piping but I stand corrected. I have to say that Lake blue is a great colour for the body shape.Not as bright or common as Carnival and not flat like Moonstone. A real sixties colour that works well with the chrome and whitewalls. I recommend it.

I have an original 1962 Rootes colour chip card set and it is one of perhaps 3 interesting colours. They did do a Gunmetal in '65 or '67 that looks superb on a Harrington ( a bit like a small Aston Martin but too late for my '62 vintage motor)

Oliver

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Almost envious!!!

Beautiful work....Looking forward to more PIC's.

Greggers was able to help me with mine also.... A great Gent

alpine_64

Donation Time
Many thanks,

It's lake blue so the interior will be as per period Which I think can be lake blue with white piping but I stand corrected.

Oliver

Oliver, I think it would have had dark blue pipping. The later cars in code 58 used Azure blue with dark blue popping which would look great with your colour scheme.

That said it is a Harrington and they could have bespoke interior, so while the stock alpine would have the blue seats you could easily have the Scarlett interior offered on embassy black cars... Are you going to have stock alpine seats or optional microcell contour seats

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Excellent Job and colour choice. I just love Lake Blue on an early Series (007 too). Also the mechanicals do look superb and extremly original. Certainly a candidate for next "best restoration " competition...

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Bernd-St

Many thanks for that. I'm working for the factory fresh look rather than show car so not very shiny but correct I hope. Lots and Lots of NOS parts, black bolts etc. I'll post on the Harrington site when it is a bit further along.

All the best

Oliver

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver,

A Superb restoration - definitely - and with the right colour choices. Hope to see the car in reality when finished. Perhaps on the next Spares day in Coventry

Anyway feel highly motivated to continue with my HLM now. Plan to do it in early moonstone , but Let's see...

Limey

Donation Time
Oliver, I think it would have had dark blue pipping. The later cars in code 58 used Azure blue with dark blue popping which would look great with your colour scheme.

That said it is a Harrington and they could have bespoke interior, so while the stock alpine would have the blue seats you could easily have the Scarlett interior offered on embassy black cars... Are you going to have stock alpine seats or optional microcell contour seats

Microcell. I have two pairs of the round top seats correct for SI & SII asopposed to the square top for later series. They are much more comfortable but having said that the originals where prety good and 'semi-bucket' with good side support.

Oliver