• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Title for Alpine with Bill of Sale

Finaddict

Donation Time
I bought a S3 GT without a title, and was told that a New York company could get me a title. I did an internet search and turned up Broadway Title. The problem is, they charge $895 for the papers that will convince the DMV to issue a title. This seems a little steep. 'Anyone had experience getting a title for a "bill of sale" car? I did check with my state (AZ) DMV, and they have no record of my car's VIN (title or registration).

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It varies wildly from state to state. For old cars, some states do not even require a title. Better check with your BMV.

Bill

drno6

Donation Time
196? series 2

I have a similar but more difficult problem. Last year I purchased an Alpine from an Ebay seller who happened to be in my same town Houston. It was advertised with a bill of sale only. When I went to make the deal on the car it was missing the vin plate. I assumed incorrectly at the time that the vin number would be somewhere else on the car. It wasnt. The car is in relatively good shape, very little rust, and a series 4 engine maybe transmission. The engine transmission rear end and lever shocks all look restored and unsused since. The car came from California at some point because there were california plates last registered in 1977 in the trunk.
What I know:
Origional Color: Lake Blue
Steel wheel car with the later white painted larger hole wheels.
solid car with only a few small rust holes in floor boards, so likely a desert car.
It has the right hand hood prop rod, and full open hood.
My profile picture is of the car when I picked it up. I would like to find oout the origional vin and file for lost title.
In Texas they will reissue a vin number once the car s restored but it will be a generic vin number.

Anyone with help or who might kno of this car it will be very much appreciated! I have been a Sunbeam fan since a young boy and finally I am able to restore one. I want to do it right!
Thanks
Ty M.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Vin on motor

The Alpine motor has the vin number stamped on it. The vin on a series IV is on the block on the dip stick side of the engine stamped numbers grooved in the block on the edge, at least mine is. Might have the DMV do a search on the block vin and see if it's the car vin and where it was last registered. Seems the DMV in California could look up the old 77 tag, maybe. I guess if the Alpine motor vin is available since the body of the car might of been crushed could you register the car by the motor, since the car body has no vin plate? I got lucky my old Vicki the Alpine has matching vin numbers. Then I got that extra motor and trannry in storage.

Donna
:)

65beam

Donation Time
sale

a series 2 had the vin stamped on the V shaped brace that runs across the fire wall just above the trans tunnel. the number should be on the right side about half way between the area where the heater hose opening is and the inner fender. it may also be on the panel behind the left ( driver ) seat. it should be about an inch below where the parcel shelf meets the floor pan.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Apply for

Assigned number from your DMV no tag its their number or nothing. Seen the repop ones on eBay?
In Calif. you can file a form inf70 you may get lucky and get it that way. You only have old plates bill of sale right?. Is there old registration copy in car?
Good luck.

drno6

Donation Time
The motor in my car does have a vin but it is from a later series I believe a series4. California destroys record over ten years old. I would like to register the car as close to possible to its actual year. I believe it to be one of the 109 1963 series II cars since it has model specific parts such as full open hood, right hand hood stand placement and side mounted gas cap. If so it is a rare car. Only 3% of Alpines on the registry are lake blue.

drno6

Donation Time
I bought a S3 GT without a title, and was told that a New York company could get me a title. I did an internet search and turned up Broadway Title. The problem is, they charge $895 for the papers that will convince the DMV to issue a title. This seems a little steep. 'Anyone had experience getting a title for a "bill of sale" car? I did check with my state (AZ) DMV, and they have no record of my car's VIN (title or registration).

I have looked for both of these locations based on the Tech section. I think where you are describing them I havent looked, so maybe I will get lucky.
Thanks I will look tonight!!!!!

drno6

Donation Time
a series 2 had the vin stamped on the V shaped brace that runs across the fire wall just above the trans tunnel. the number should be on the right side about half way between the area where the heater hose opening is and the inner fender. it may also be on the panel behind the left ( driver ) seat. it should be about an inch below where the parcel shelf meets the floor pan.
I have looked for both of these locations based on the Tech section. I think where you are describing them I havent looked, so maybe I will get lucky.
Thanks I will look tonight!!!!!

drno6

Donation Time
My main reason for post was to see if someone recognized the car. The motor, Transmission, rear end and lever shocks were recently rebuilt.... I say recently because they are very clean (after the dust was rinsed off). The lever shocks look brand new. The engine compartment was repainteed metallic black also. These are all repairs of a car under a full restoration attempt. It seems also that it would be someone who knows the cars. I am hoping someone will say hey I know that car!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Cali. does not

Destroy records, technically speaking in DMV speak they drop from current record. This does not apply if it was a loss salvage or theft or otherwise..They have records but they are only available to law enforcement, as they are archived. Off the computer means their active files.

There is a neat vin check website. I have link on other device. If you have plate no. send it in to DMV in Cali. With the inf 70 form ,you pay 5 bucks if they find info if they don't they send your 5 back you have 0 to loose but a stamp and a SASE for them to return your check and your time. Speaking of time I would not suggest a action if I thought it was a shot in the dark.

I'm only familiar with later tags but think the early ones are pretty genric in font.
See if you can get the assigned tag put in nice place cause they like to put it on door jamb.
Good luck

Last edited:

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Lost title

I bought my '65 SIV last September from a guy in Oregon who stated in the craigslist ad "title paperwork in hand". After driving 6.5 hours from Washington to buy the car (it was in great shape and 95% complete) the guy said it was paperwork to file for a lost title. Great. The owner before the guy that I was buying it from wanted nothing to do with the car, but had signed the release of interest part/lost tiitle section agreeing the title was lost and that was it. I bought the car, towed it home, and after many calls to the Oregon DMV who were very arrogant btw, I was able to mail my title paperwork and a $97 money order to them. Thankfully, I received my Oregon title about 3-4 weeks later. My car had not been registered since '84, but I have a vin on mine, so I don't think this will be much help to you? I didn't read all the replies in his section, but have you tried obtaining information from the DMV using the license plates you found with the car? I hope you can figure something out. I'm always very nervous buying a car without a title because of a chance I won't be able to title it. So far I've lucked out. Some states can be very picky though...

Kyle.