• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tires

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is it possible to fit a 215-50R-13 tire under a stock Alpines rear fenders ?? ....

The answer to your question is a qualified maybe depending on your ability to precisely locate the wheels / tires between the outer edge of the rear leaf spring and the inside edge of the rear fender lip.

The cross section width of the tire must clear both the outside edge of the leaf spring and the inside edge of the fender lip.

The lateral distance between the outside of the rear leaf spring and the inside of the fender lip at the top of the fender arch on a Series Alpine is about 9 inches.

The cross section width of a 215-50R-13 tire is about 8-1/2".

Series Alpines are "dimensionally variable", so .....

Last edited:

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks Barry ... Sounds like a tight fit! ... Any specfic rims or back spacing that comes to mind to fit 'em? .... I don't think you can safely fit a 215 on a stock rim? ..or could you? .... Can the fender lips be rolled?

.... David

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Barry ... Sounds like a tight fit! ... Any specfic rims or back spacing that comes to mind to fit 'em? .... I don't think you can safely fit a 215 on a stock rim? ..or could you? .... Can the fender lips be rolled?

.... David

David,

Everything is a tight fit on a Series Alpine and something is usually in the way of something else.

Good 13" tires are becoming hard to find and 14" tires are not far behind. I recommend that you consider 195/15-60 tires on 15x6 wheels. There are lots of wheel and tire choices in that size and, with the correct wheel offset of about +20 or +25 mm, you can keep the wheels / tires under the front fenders.

NO, a 215 mm section width P-radial cannot be safely used on a Series Alpine factory steel wheel. The recommended wheel width for a 215 mm section width P-radial tire is 6-1/2" with a minimum width of 6" and a maximum width of 7-1/2". Series Alpine factory steel wheels are either 4" or 4-1/2" wide and should not be used with a tire section width greater than 175 mm.

Yes, the fender lips can be rolled. The fronts are pretty easy, the rears not so much (double thickness and not much elbow room).

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks again Barry .... Been planning on 15" rims for this project but for now just needed some decent rollers and was offered these 215 for a GOOD price so I was considering them as temps. ... to bad they weren't 205s or less.

.... David

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have 15x6 rims with 185/55-15 on the front and 15x7 rims with 205/50-15 on the back, offset is 25 front and 20 rear and it just clears. I also cut down an Mazda RX7 rear axle to center the rear rims in the wheel wells, rolled the rear fender lips and changed my car to 114.3 bolt pattern to get more rim options. My 205/50-15 have a section width of 8.5", any wider will rub.
IMG_3730-X2.jpg