• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

timing pointer 2.8

bluoval

Donation Time
I need to find a timing pointer for the 2.8 its a ranger block with the mutt ll front cover,and balancer THE QUESTION IS .What timing pointer do I need?? the mutt ll or ranger?? Thanks Earl bluoval

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I can dig out the front cover I have and see if the pointer is on it. Maybe something that can be simply made.

bluoval

Donation Time
found my pointer in an old parts box

found my timing pointer after the post after looking what i thought was everywhere in the garage. then found it by accident. I can tell you that I went to 3 diff parts stores and thev local ford dealer looking for a pointer to no avail.. so good luck finding one..

britbeam

Donation Time
Ive found limited parts for the V6 at the Ford Dealers but you never know. These engines are getting scarce so when I see one I try to get the parts I think I might need but just when I think Ive seen the last Mutt 2 I see another in the weeds. I know where ther are about 5 but the people wont part with them. Same old line "Oh Im gonna restore that one day" " Its a collector car you know" Yea right well maybe the Cobra with the V8 but that little 2.8 is just right for the conversion. Donar car is the best way to go so you have these small bits.
Dwain V6 Krazy.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Dwain,

You are right. I once went to a Ford dealer, looking for the .375 inch flywheel spacer for a 2.6 V6 Capri, and lo and behold, he had one on the shelf, that according to the parts man, had been there about 15 years. You never can tell what you'll find at the dealers.

Jose

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I looked for the front cover this weekend, only to find it wasn't in the box I thought it was. Made another quick search this morning and I think I found it. But I had to leave for work. I'll check it tonight and if the pointer is on it, I will post the pic with some measurements.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Can someone post a copy of the timing pointer? I didn't know it was separate on the 2.8 and just assumed it was integral to some other part. I am not sure I have one, but it is certainly possible.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I plan to do that this evening, either from the extra front cover I have, or from the 2.8 engine.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Luckily it was on the motor. It has a Ford part number; 74TM-6K298-AA.
The holes seem to be about 1/4". It mounts to the lower left 2 bolts of the front cover when looking at the front of the engine.
I anyone wants, I will email the pics to you. I can also try to provide more dimensions as needed.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Mike. That doesn't look familiar, so I'd better dig around the box that contains all of the parts from my Ranger engine that I didn't need, or didn't think I needed. Will this be the same for all 2.8 engines? The one I will be using is from a Mustang II, but I also have a Ranger engine that donated many valuable parts to the effort.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
timing pointer

Gitsmart, send me your e-mail address and I will forward a photo of the timing pointer on my spare 2.8. It is different than the one currently posted but most likely either will work well for you.
I would post it on the forum but I don't have much luck doing so w/o help and that is not available right now.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

This is the one. There is also a bracket that overhangs the pulley, but I can't remember if it is part of an earlier or later engine. You will need the pointy part that indicates the timing marks. I would suggest painting the timing mark on the pulley with either white or silver paint, so you won't have a hard time finding the correct mark on the pulley.

Jose

Luckily it was on the motor. It has a Ford part number; 74TM-6K298-AA.
The holes seem to be about 1/4". It mounts to the lower right 2 bolts of the front cover when looking at the front of the engine.
I anyone wants, I will email the pics to you. I can also try to provide more dimensions as needed.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
The point on this bracket hangs right over the pulley. I took this off of the 2.8 I pulled from a '79 Mustang. Also I meant to say earlier that it mounts to the lower LEFT of the front cover when facing the front of the engine. There are two raised bosses that take short bolts. Guess it's tough to change how you've been told to reference right and left when talking about a car.

I don't think it would be too hard to make one from aluminum angle with the correct dimensions. Also thought flat stock could be used with a pointed threaded rod (like a soldering iron tip) screwed into it.