• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Timing chain tensioner

snamelc

Donation Time
I'm putting an aluminum billet timing chain cover with seal on my Series II. My mechanic is replacing the chain tensioner and he says the one Rick sent is all rubber with the steel leaf spring in the center such that the chain runs against the rubber. It's been so long since I've had a timing chain cover off I don't remember whether this is correct but it seems a bit crazy to use rubber as a wear surface. The one being replaced no longer resembles a tensioner. Can anyone set me straight?

Bill

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I believe early Sunbeams used only the metal blade for the tensioner, while later engines used metal inside with chain running on the rubber.

Sunbeam Specialties Catalog page 4 cautions about using "high mileage oil" or other oil additives to reduce oil leaks. Using these products can swell the rubber tensioner and cause the engine to need to be torn down and repaired.

In addition please make sure that the small tube in the middle of the front of the engine that looks like a question mark, also has a small hole in the top to spray oil on the timing chain and thus the rubber tensioner.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill,

I note by your post, that you installed one of Rick's aluminum timing covers. I am about to do the same and have a couple of questions (which I posted but as yet no responses). First, should you lube the seal as you install it? Second, there is a bolt that secures the original timing cover that protrudes through the cover near the crankshaft. My assumption is that you simply eliminate this bolt. Any suggestions you have about installation would be appreciated. Finally, has your aluminum timing cover worked as advertised; no leaks?

Regards,
Mike

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Mike ... Though I haven't installed one of Ricks alum. covers on an Alpine ... lubing any seal lip and mating surface with the lubricant that it will come into contact with is always a good idea as is making sure the metal surface is free and clear of burr's or debris. The other ??'s may be answered by someone who's gone through the process. The old leather seals in my ol' Dodge WC's could be renewed by pushing the leather lip out, soaked in warm lube, burnished with a brass rod and reinstalled and good to go for another stint with absolutely no leaking. JFYI ...

.. Best of Luck, David

Last edited:

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
The first time I installed mine, I didn't put any sealant on it. That billit aluminum doesn't bend to the flaws in the mating surface like the steel did. Yea, sealant. But now in retrospect, I probably wouldn't install it. It's a british car, and as hard as i've tried, and tried, and still try. It just still leaks somewhere else.
And that's the whole truth.
And the center bolt goes up on ebay.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Mike ... If your referring to putting the seal itself into the cover, I've seen some seals come with a type of coating around the outside of the seal ..others don't ... a tiny bit of insurance won't hurt. ... Jim J. made me re-read the thread:D

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Alluminum Timing Cover

Thanks, David, Jim and SoCal"beaming for your comments. Very much appreciated. I figured I was on the right track but your comments give me peace of mind.

Mike

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Just to clarify, when I said I wouldn't install it, I meant I wouldn't go to the expense of the billet cover on my rebuild. That's a bunch of bucks for an engine that will probably still leak. Now the next engine I build will probably have an excessive amount of RTV on the gaskets, but I think the rubber sleeve on the inside of the original timing cover and the slinger would probably suffice. Just my 2 cents worth, unless inflation has made it worth 1 cent.
Park uphill..........................

mightyohm

Donation Time
Sorry to hijack the thread, but has anyone noticed that the billet timing cover is a very tight fit against the tensioner compared to the original steel cover? I really have to shove my cover into position in order for the bolt holes around the cover to line up. I'm a little worried that the billet cover puts more force on the tensioner against the chain due to the tighter fit and will accelerate wear of the rubber.

I've also noticed that not all rubber timing chain tensioners are alike - some of them are noticeably thicker than others and this probably makes the above issue worse.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've installed two of these covers on customer cars and one on my car as well. I used sealant ( along with a gasket ) and lubed the seal
for good measure. The bolt/stud that goes through the original cover is eliminated. The aluminum is stronger than the
pressed steel of the original cover so it doesn't need it. The billet cover eliminated the oil leaks from the front
of the engine and all are just about leak free. ( they have to leak something as they're British!)

No issues with the tensioners either. They fit a little tighter, but so far haven't had any issues.

Hope that help.
Cheers!
Steve

mightyohm

Donation Time
Steve,

Good to hear that the covers are working well. Where are you buying replacement rubber tensioners? I've read that some can swell and cause problems.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Your BEST bet is to re-use a good, original rubber tensioner. Why? Its the rubber compound used in the repos.
In one engine rebuild, I found the repo-tensioner in the oil pan and it expanded to about 2-times it's original size. You get it now?
Jan
Jan

mightyohm

Donation Time
Your BEST bet is to re-use a good, original rubber tensioner. Why? Its the rubber compound used in the repos.
In one engine rebuild, I found the repo-tensioner in the oil pan and it expanded to about 2-times it's original size. You get it now?
Jan
Jan

Jan,
Looks like I replied to the wrong thread a moment ago - thanks for the advice. I have a couple original tensioners on hand that are in fairly good shape, so hopefully I can use one of those.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jeff,
I agree with Jan and have been able to reuse the tensioner that was with the car.
Steve

mightyohm

Donation Time
Jeff,
I agree with Jan and have been able to reuse the tensioner that was with the car.
Steve

Steve,

Good to know. Thank you. I worry about the old rubber cracking and failing but I haven't seen one of the old ones fail yet.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jeff,
In my 40 some years of working on Alpines and rebuilding engines I haven't come across a tensioner
that was totally destroyed or worn out. I think it's one of those parts that you would think would be better
replaced when rebuilding, but the replacements just aren't that good.

Cheers!
Steve

smashbeat

Silver Level Sponsor
I’m installing a billet cover too. Is the oil thrower needed anymore?

Attachments

• 81EF692E-ECBC-4F93-8D57-FB367A2D7F13.jpeg
    81EF692E-ECBC-4F93-8D57-FB367A2D7F13.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We have the Alpine Innovations oil seal timing cover on two of our Alpines. This is the original timing cover machined to take a lipped seal. We also have their rubber? tappet chest and rocker cover gaskets and we have the sliquorice silicone seals for the sump from New Forest Gaskets. These engines are oil tight now.

Tim R