• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger Hard Top

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rootes group used to make a nice steel one with operable rear quarter lights... :D

As for the modern world.. Only 2 options..

Honeyborne moldings in UK do a fibreglass one that looks like the factory top.

Styleline ( maybe?) Did a continuation of the fibreglass parish top of the 60s..

Otherwise...buy a factory one and start repairing the rust...or find a period aftermarket one

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The fiberglass ones have hardware store like latches. To elaborate on the side windows the surround is different size wise and non functional windows as discussed.
Clearly lighter possibly louder no headliner just a textured mat and possibly a chopper gun finish.

The steel ones can footprint the paint scratch the chime B post caps and take 2 people to put on. If you were a neighbor I'd let you try mine. The noise level isn't much different than the soft top.

The only reason I'd consider a fiberglass one is to install a Webasto rag roof in it . Unless I can find a steel one with a 1980 moon roof hole already hacked.
But if there's one of those they get the non rusted legs parted out :(

RobfzTiger

Donation Time
Thank you, Gentlemen. I already have a problem finding a second person to fit the hardtop on my Carrera. I really appreciate the advice.

RobfzTiger

Donation Time
A great suggestion, thank you. I'd seen the video before. Looks perfect for a Tiger top, but the Carrera is significantly bigger and heavier.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have an old Parish top, probably as old as the Alpine. The thing is a mixed bag. The construction is very good, still a solid top after all those years. However, it did not fit the car at all. When placed on the car, most of the weight of the top was carried by the side windows of the car. The good news is the top is easily altered, being constructed of quality fiberglass. I covered the interior with sound absorbing foam rubber and finished the interior with glue in place fabric. The finished top is weather proof, quieter than the soft top and very portable. I can drop it on the car and in less than a minute have perfect placement. I have no idea how all this relates to the product being sold today. I do know the new rear glass and ribber seal works perfectly in the old top. Not so much the window seals, which I found to be lacking in weather tightness.
Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have one of those Harbor freight lifts and a sling..
But got tired of banging my head on the hanging top. So picked up a big furniture dolly and built it into a dedicated cart. Now it's a place to drop car covers etc. Hope you have a taller garage ceiling or can locate the power lift in the attic to get a hanging top high enough to walk around or get in the car. Oh and it's not so easy to attach the gutter trim . Steve A. says it's still not easy with next to no paint thickness as well. One of these days I'll try again.
upload_2022-11-4_7-19-30.png

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I too have a Harbor Freight lift and a sling fashioned from a tow strap. No issue with banging my head on it as it over the Alpine's parking spot. So if the space under the top is empty, there's a 90% chance I'm in the Alpine. However, the lift oozes oil, just like an English Sports car, so I have to place something on the top to catch the oil. Very British.
Bill