• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Throttle Stuck on my V6

kmathis

Donation Time
Bummer; I was racing a guy this afternoon, and after leaving him about 6 car lengths back, my throttle stuck...the return spring got caught up with the linkage...3/4 throttle, over revved, pegged the tach, probably 8 - 9 K revs for seemingly forever, but it was probably only 5 - 10 seconds by the time I shut off the ignition, some damage has been done...Dropped a valve in the number 2, lost a couple of push rods on 5 and 6, no compression on number 6, so I am going to pull her out, take it all apart, make sure all is good, and make any repairs required. Might get those bronze guides after all.:cool:
Got to get it going...this car is too fun.:D

SoCalpine

Donation Time
It's good that you're making the best of it, but man, that sounds awful. I think Les just got the motor in mine so I may be able to get that cart back up to you this week.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
All that trouble just to get 6 car lengths:eek:

Sure is fun though:D

You can tell Jose.... and Smile,

kmathis

Donation Time
It's good that you're making the best of it, but man, that sounds awful. I think Les just got the motor in mine so I may be able to get that cart back up to you this week.

Hey, John: I thought about that last night...where is my engine cart...didn't know I would need it so soon.

Glad he got the motor in...that is a good sign. now I will have to hurry, so we can go cruisin'.

kmathis

Donation Time
All that trouble just to get 6 car lengths:eek:

Sure is fun though:D

You can tell Jose.... and Smile,

Funny thing is, when I shut the motor down, I had slow down enough to make a quick right turn and into a Hotel parking lot, so I didn't have to loose any face. Didn't want him to see that I had broken down....after all, that is very important...isn't it?:)

coupe

Donation Time
Hey Kelly
Sorry to hear able the engine. I lost the connection on mine once and had no way to get off the road, pushed her over and rebooked the cable to the fitting and tightened the set screw easy fix.. I had a lady in a jeep roll along side today and ask if mine was a 65 told her it was a 64 v6 she said hers was a 65 and a v8. I dumped the throttle in second, hit 3d and signed the pavement a little and was gone. I did slow down enough to wave just to let her see a v6 will run in case she didn't think so. I like to drive that thing!!!
Hope you get that engine apart and find only small dmg inside, but I may look into some kind of rev limiting for mine!!
Coupe

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
.... a quick right turn and into a Hotel parking lot, so I didn't have to loose any face. Didn't want him to see that I had broken down....after all, that is very important...isn't it?:)

That's the right way to think:)

He'll never know you had a bad day. Get'em back on the road and have more fun:D

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
kelly,
That is a damn shame and your Alpine is such a gem. Get it back on the road soon.
I have just recently learned to drive my V6 smoothly without spinning out and am haveing a lot of fun taking my 13 year old grandson to school and back; he really grooves on the admiring looks from the other junior high kids.
I am working hard NOT to set the same fast Alpine driving example as I did for my son who learned to drive in the car. While growing up, he has totalled two Camaro Z28s and has finally learned to drive fast safely in his enhanced 370Z.

My V6 accelerates so fast when punched, it is still a little scary unless out on an open freeway and then it attracts all kinds of really fast sports cars in north Dallas so I will refrain from racing any of them. What a conundrum!:confused:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, I found this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-600

A Rev Limiter, similar to what is available?

Do you have one? or ? My Tach was "RED Lined" on most of my cars prior years, just kept my eye on it while "Gett'in it".

Seems like the Limiter is for idiots or fools or people that do not understand that an engine has limits:eek:

Then, it can be utilized to help control mistakes like discussed here.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor

Do you have one? or ? My Tach was "RED Lined" on most of my cars prior years, just kept my eye on it while "Gett'in it".

Seems like the Limiter is for idiots or fools or people that do not understand that an engine has limits:eek:

My ECU has rev limiting capability and I have it set at 6800, the same as stock. I did have it set at 7000, but there really is no benefit, at least with the current tune. I like them, even though I keep close tabs on the tach, as it eliminates "accidents", real or intentional. I let my sons drive the car, this way I can be pretty confident it will return with nothing hanging out of the block.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
kelly,

My V6 accelerates so fast when punched, it is still a little scary unless out on an open freeway and then it attracts all kinds of really fast sports cars in north Dallas so I will refrain from racing any of them. What a conundrum!:confused:

V6 owners keep saying that, but none have gone to the trouble to quantify its capabilities. Could you provide us with some numbers? I like the 20-80 (or 3rd gear) time as it minimizes driver influence and measures the engine throughout its operating range and is discussed here:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17962&page=3

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, Sorry that I can't answer your call! If and when I get my V6 together I would love for you to "Test" with me to see what it'd dooooooo:D

If it goes like yours I'd be happy. Maybe next one? Huh?

Sure would like for someone to give an answer that has a 2.8 V6. Just for the record of course.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor

Dan, hate to give you a double response to a post ---NOT!

At 6:00 this evening, Barb announced we should take a drive to Farmland to get some ice cream. Hey, its only 40 miles one way and its a beautiful top down drive, why not? Got in the car, cranked her tail (the Alpine, you with the dirty mind) and BANG! One of the loudest backfires I've ever heard. The engine caught and started revving. I did not have my foot on the accelerator and my hand was still on the key, so I immediately shut it down. It only revved up to about 3k. The backfire (intake valve hung up? I don't know what was the cause) had jammed the throttle plate full open. So there are times when a limiter can save your engine. This was not one of them, but still, you never know just how many ways things can go wrong.

By the way, the explosion was so violent that it blew the air filter housing apart and vacuum lines off the manifold. Remember how I made the intake runners so they were tunable? Well, after the backfire they were a full octave lower! The runners had been moved about 3".

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, Sounds like after you cranked her tail (not Barb's) the Apine objected a bit!

Did you find the cause?

Sounds dretful! Did you get the Ice Cream after all that is important

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, Sounds like after you cranked her tail (not Barb's) the Apine objected a bit!

Did you find the cause?

Sounds dretful! Did you get the Ice Cream after all that is important

Did not find the cause and have no clue. About an hour prior to the startup, I had switched the engine on. That was to make a small change in the ignition map and the engine was not started. This gave the engine a shot of fuel that is used to aid in starting. So the engine got two shots of "hot engine" prime. I have done this lots of times, sometimes resulting in 3 or 4 "shots" without explosive results. Wish I knew what caused it.

We got the ice cream. Barb's ace mechanic/engineer/designer was able to get it fixed and on the road in about 20 minutes.

Bill