• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Throttle Stuck on my V6

gordonra

Donation Time
IT's ALIVE!!! Great to know you are back on the street with that BEAUTIFUL car once again. Just in time to enjoy the falls cooler weather....all smiles today!

Hey Kevin... unfortunately he's not quite on the road yet. Still trying to find the source of the vacuum leak. Every time I see it, I just marvel at the outstanding job Kelly has done on that Alpine. Makes me proud to be in the presence of such an effort!

I'm sure he'll get it sorted soon.

Rich

kmathis

Donation Time
Rich...Pleeaase...No sarcasm.;)

Ok, I still have a vacuum leak, somewhere; Rich brought his car over tonight, and we put my carb on his motor, and it ran fantastic. So, it is not the carb...that is good.

On my other block, I shaved .040 off the deck, changing the geometry for the intake manifold, so to compensate, I shaved about .030 off of all mating surfaces of the manifold, so it would sit right on the heads that were sitting not only further down, but closer, as well. That manifold worked perfect on that block, however now that this block has the stock deck height, and the gap between the manifold and the heads is about .035 without a gasket, there may be my issues.

I doubled the gaskets:eek:, at one point yesterday, however I was still sucking oil into the intake manifold, from either the valve cover area or the valley area. So, at this point, I have a very nice garage queen...sometimes these gremlins are hard to get...but I will get them eventually. I think a new manifold is in the offing...or should I say Offy.

When you are making these kind of modifications, custom pistons, higher compression ratios, bigger cams, special grinds, modifying the intake manifold; problems like this are likely to come up, and you just have to stick with it until they are solved, and hope that you are happy with the results. The way this thing drives, even with a vacuum leak, is just great, and I can only imagine, what it will be like once this issue is cleared up. I am working toward that hour....

Stay tuned.:D

gordonra

Donation Time
You're too modest Kelly!

My configuration is pretty darn close to what you had before things blew up, and I'm pretty happy with mine right now. I can't wait to see how far the extra mods you went with this setup goes.

I've got a friend in from out of town this weekend and I'm hoping to go to Cars and Coffee with the Alpine. (He was pretty impressed while attending the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Vegas late last week.)

Hopefully you'll have it ready to go by Saturday morning.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Rich

kmathis

Donation Time
Sooo, the jury is still out on the vacuum issue that I am having...however I have learned a great deal about camshafts in the last 24 hours or so; it looks like I have about 86 degrees of valve overlap (that is the amount of crank degrees that both valves are open at the same time), this can cause a very lousy, and low vacuum idle; it should probably be half of that...I heard that racing motors can run that kind of overlap, but not street motors...I bought a heavy cam, that already had about 44 degrees of overlap, and had it re-ground to Jose's specs, but I didn't expect any added overlap.

I will be calling Delta Cam to confirm these thoughts, tomorrow, and then decide what to do about it. This is what happens when you depart from the tried and true.:D If I had re-ground my stock cam, I would probably be driving it by now...Grrrr.

Stay tuned for updates.:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kelly, sounds as though the cam was ground to lift and duration specs with total disregard for cam lobe angle. Was a cam lobe angle specified?

Bill

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi, Bill:

Yes, it was, however I didn't know too much about it at the time, so an intelligent conversation wasn't had; the cam that I started with already had to much overlap, I wasn't aware of it at the time...I hope to talk to the cam grinder tomorrow...tried today, but just ran out of time. I'll let you know what he says, either way, I have to get another one done,...leaner and not meaner.:)

kmathis

Donation Time
Shipped off my stock cam today to Delta Cams in Washington State, for the Jose Grind; they will get by Friday, so maybe by the end of next week, I will have it back.:)

Stick with the tried and true, you won't be sorry.

Now let's see here, where did I park my engine hoist.:D

kmathis

Donation Time
My re-ground cam came in the mail today; Motor came out Monday night; started taking the front cover off tonight. Gasket set is in at NAPA tomorrow. Hopefully by weekends end, it will be back together...:) Can't wait.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know you've done it before BUT, Be careful, precise, and think about what you are doing then get her done right.

I want to see and hear that engine purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

C.rod67

Donation Time
Newbee

I'm new to the forum. I have a 67 in great shape but no motor. I'm trying to do a 2.8 v6 conversion this fall. Anybody have info on if kits are still available? I have a 76 mustang II automatic as a donor. Chris.

gordonra

Donation Time
I'm new to the forum. I have a 67 in great shape but no motor. I'm trying to do a 2.8 v6 conversion this fall. Anybody have info on if kits are still available? I have a 76 mustang II automatic as a donor. Chris.

Hi Chris and Welcome!

You came to the right place... V6 Jose does still sell his kit, and you can contact him via this forum. I know that he keeps a fairly close watch on it, but you can send him a private message as well.

Your 76 Mustang is a great start for doing the conversion. Jose's kit is a very well made, professionally designed and fabricated set of parts that has been done successfully many times.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Sunbeams. Please send me an email or PM and we can discuss your project. Looking forward to communicating with you.

Jose

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Again, welcome Chris. Where are you located? There are V6 drivers all over the country and most are more than happy to help. I have one running V6 that was done without the Jose kit and a project that is using the kit. You're heading down the right path. Love my runner but it can be a trying experience occasionally.

kmathis

Donation Time

Welcome: Are you going to stick with the automatic, or go with the T5 5 speed? Either way, there is plenty of information available, Check out that Blog, that Rich posted, most of the information for doing one of these conversions is on that blog, and we are adding more info, all the time.:)

You can't go wrong with Jose's kit, there are about 150 Sunbeams out there with 2.8 V6s using Jose's kit, it is truly a tried and true system for doing this conversion. It was the most fun I have ever had on a car project.

Let me know if you need anything.:D

kmathis

Donation Time
Well, hopefully this will conclude my entries on this thread, as all of this trouble for the last year and a few months, was because my throttle stuck, over rev'ed, floated the valves, and generally caused all kinds of difficulty.:eek:

Oh Well,

So, after getting it running a few weeks ago, I had a very bad idle issue, concluded that it had too much cam. That turned out to be accurate, as I had gone back to Delta with a stock core, the Jose Grind was applied, and I re-installed it and got it running this afternoon... It runs bitchin'.::D

A few photos on the link below; no video this time, haven't taken it out on a shake down cruise yet, but that will come soon. Right now, it sounds great, looks pretty good, and I hope it will go pretty good, as well.:)

If I get time to finish a few items during the week, it will be Cars and Coffee, next Saturday, for the debut...we will see.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sdqck63t9cnhldz/AACMqHATKqp3EtqkLM6kAHWCa?dl=0

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Kelly,

You now have the two best things. It not nly looks great, but it runs great too. Perfect bliss.

Jose