• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Thro out bearing

twospeed

Donation Time
I will be changing my clutch as soon as the weather gets warmer. I read some place that there is a ball bearing thro out bearing made to replace my carbon one?
Anybody know where I can get one?

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
George,
Moss Motors lists three different release bearings for the Midget, one for the 948 engine (1961 only if Wikipedia is to believed), one for the 1098cc (1962-1966), and one for the 1275cc (1966-1974). Are you saying the one for the 1098 would be Alpine-friendly?

Moss lists the 1275 as "original type." So one could assume that the 1275 is carbon and the other two are roller bearings. But this particular one isn't very good at assuming.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I would have to check, 1098 sounds right, I used one on my car for years, I have one that came out of my car when I went to the 5speed conversion. I will check this weekend.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I bought the roller bearing TOB from Rick years ago. It was an MG part. But, I have to assume he still sells them. So try him before Moss Motors! It's not like MM has lifted a finger to help Sunbeams!

That said, I do recall reading problems with the roller bearing TOB. I don't recall the details. But I think there might be a failure mode that the carbon one does not have.

RootesRich

Donation Time
That said, I do recall reading problems with the roller bearing TOB. I don't recall the details. But I think there might be a failure mode that the carbon one does not have.

I've had two of Rick's roller TOB's fail on me within 1500 miles of the install. Granted this was 10 years ago and at the time Rick suspected he received a bad batch, but I've stuck with the carbon TOB's since then and not had an issue.