• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Three point seat belt for Alpine

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am trying to find info on the installation of a three point seat belt for an Alpine.

Thought there was a Bulletin on it but can't find it.

Help!!

Asm109

Donation Time
I put them in my Tiger.
There is a threaded boss on the rear wheel well that you anchor the shoulder belt to.
There is a seatbelt company in Oklahoma that has belts with a chrome buckle that matches the original lap belts. Can't remember their name.
The hinge end is about 12 inches long and comes with a plastic sleeve to make it stand up. It mounts on the tranny hump side.
The buckle sits an inch or two lower than ideal. You can make the connection but you have to fish down next to the cushion to lift the buckle.
If you could get them to make that side 2 inches longer it would be perfect.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for that info.... Sure would be nice to know the Company name.

I will make a search.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The "threaded boss on the rear wheel well" is considerably too low and will result in a very high downward force on the shoulder in the event of a frontal impact. A damaged shoulder may be preferable to a damaged chest or head, but the right answer is a mounting point that is at least as high as the top of the shoulder.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Ones I installed from Amazon seem Ok. I had to drill a hole in the rear panel wall each side for the retractors though. That meant holes in the padded rear panel also. Other than that, as mentioned the boss on the rear well is about the only place for the shoulder anchor. ( agree with Barry that it's not an ideal location ).

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Some MGB's use this retractor mounted to upper deck.

Attachments

• mgb seatbelt retractor.jpeg
    mgb seatbelt retractor.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 24

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
That is the main reason I installed a roll bar.

I just noticed I had the passenger seat installed on the drivers side for that test shot.
20230205_140927.jpg

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
The only safe way to mount three point seat belts in an Alpine is to use a roll bar or find a way to mount them above the body without one, this is the only reason I have a roll bar.
i-vhwzR6P-XL.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
So does the Miata 2007 and up seat. However, it is not an Alpine friendly installation. Also, as stock, the seat does not flop forward very far. Fortunately, it is an easy modifaction of the seatback stop.
Bill