• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

thread size/type of the cross-pipe outlet to fuel line?

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is hopefully a simple question for someone: Does anyone know the thread size of the male nipple off the cross-pipe that connects to the fuel line beneath the license plate? Is that a compression fitting, or something altogether different? I have dropped off the tanks and pipes for cleaning & recoating, so I do not have it here to look at. Should have thought of this before...

Last edited:

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
There are two sizes. The smaller size I had that I took to Lowes thread chart was 1/4x18 (NOT NPT) and it should have a flair coupling.
The nut was siezed and broke the end off but there as still a lot of thread on the cross tube so I JB welded a nipple on it and cut the gas line about 6 inches back and added a rubber fuel line with clamps.
If you have it your gas line should have the nut and flair.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
1/2-20

I discovered a nut/ fitting that works nicely for connecting the two together.

I'll look for it, give me some time today

UPDATE: MARCH 21, 2023 Here is the nut Jan just posted, it is exactly like I posted earlier and the cost is less than $2.00

P6-5 - 1/2" x 20 unf female nut - SAE flare​

Price: $12.00
In Stock

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's a compression fitting. There is a brass ferrule that goes over the plastic fuel line. I purchased a new 5/16" brass compression ferrule. I did move the ferrule to a fresh spot on the plastic hose, maybe a 1/4" or 3/8" from the original position. Then I cut off the old end of the plastic hose that had the compressed section.

Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Found some PIC's of the fittings I have used for many years. No problem with fuel leakages.

Attachments

• Alpine Fuel Crossover Flare Adapter  20230226_152603.jpg
    Alpine Fuel Crossover Flare Adapter 20230226_152603.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Alpine Fuel Crossover five sixteenth inch16 Flare Nut and adapter  20230226_154111.jpg
    Alpine Fuel Crossover five sixteenth inch16 Flare Nut and adapter 20230226_154111.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 52
  • Alpine Fuel Crossover Flare Adapter 20230226_150401.jpg
    Alpine Fuel Crossover Flare Adapter 20230226_150401.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Alpine Fuel Crossover Flare Adapter and five sixteenth flare nut 20230225_120651.jpg
    Alpine Fuel Crossover Flare Adapter and five sixteenth flare nut 20230225_120651.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Alpine Fuel Tanks crossover connection to fuel pump    20181219_101125.jpg
    Alpine Fuel Tanks crossover connection to fuel pump 20181219_101125.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 49

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan - you may have been able to seal that somehow, but it's intended for a nut/ferrule tube fitting. Straight thread can't be effectively sealed with pipe dope or teflon tape.

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike is right. I never mentioned whether I had the fittings or not. I appreciate his effort to provide photos. Sometimes a novice like myself doesn't even know what to ask for or what something is actually called. Pictures help a great deal, and I can even take them to a shop and ask them, "what's this called, and where can I get one?" To Jan's point, I didn't even know Fed Hill existed, much less what they offer. That too is a great piece of intel that I will write down and be mindful of. Thanks everyone!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
You didn't ask for it, but here is an original series V fuel line with the ferrule and compression nut.

1677540539125.png

Mike

66blues

Donation Time
I have the same issue finding a ferrule/olive that will fit the 1/4” OD fuel line but be large enough to fit the oversized hole on the nut.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The original later fuel lines from the crossover tubes are... nylon/rubber/not metal? O_O
AFAIK, Series V was nylon line from the crossover pipe to the fuel pump and also from the fuel pump to the Stromberg carbs. I still have the nylon line on my SV. Might seem scary, but the line is pretty tough still. No rust either. :)

Mike

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have the same issue finding a ferrule/olive that will fit the 1/4” OD fuel line but be large enough to fit the oversized hole on the nut.
The nylon fuel line on Series V was 5/16" OD, not 1/4". Did you switch to a 1/4" line?

Mike

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The Alpines used the nylon 5/16" OD line while the Tigers also used a 5/16" OD, metal fuel line but with a larger ID. Both Alpine & Tiger ODs are 5/16"! And the compression fitting, that I listed earlier, will work on both cars.
Jan

Durhamguy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi guys, I wonder if someone is willing to help me out.

My problem is Fedhill do not ship to Canada. So I wonder if some would willing to purchase the fuel line fittings for me (or let me buy any spares you have) and send them up to Toronto area. I am more than willing to pay all costs in advance if needed. The fitting per other posts are:

Flare Adapter
P6-5 - 1/2" x 20 unf female nut - SAE flare
Flare nut
754014-05
FLF 7441S 5/16" Short Nut

Background
I have SIV with a original metal fuel line. I am getting bits (rust or paint from tanks) in my fuel line. I have had stalling issues for 3 years and replaced carbs, coil etc. I though the problem was resolved. The car stalls once it hits operating temp @170 but think it is really how long the engine runs. I thought it may be fuel pressure on the Weber which was 3.2 psi so I lowered it to 2.2 psi with a regulator. In installing that I saw the bits in the gas. I cleaned out the original fuel pump, changed inline filter and the brass nut which holds the Weber filter. So clearly I want to redo tanks and fuel line. Recently, I had a reno shop do a fair bit of work including new brakes. I tried to drive it home the 10 kms but it stalled on me after 7kms, I could start but only for 10seconds . I had to call a flatbed.

Folks like pics, fuel line and fuel pump residue. Thanks appreciate anyone who may be able to help. David

Attachments

• 20230826_113707.jpg
    20230826_113707.jpg
    899.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230826_113636 (1).jpg
    20230826_113636 (1).jpg
    766.1 KB · Views: 16

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm a little confused on whether the nut that Jan referenced will work on the series V nylon fuel line. My series V has the nylon fuel line and it is a compression nut with a ferrule on the nylon line.

The nut that Jan referenced mentions it is for an SAE flare. I assume it is the same type of connection like the brakes or clutch where the flare rim is crushed to form the seal. So it should be good with metal tubing with a flared end. But will that nut also work with the series V nylon line?

David - happy to help out with purchasing parts and forwarding on to you. We can move that discussion to Private Messages.

Mike