• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

This is for Nick!

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for posting that. When I lived on Reno I saw that car on display at the NAM. Never saw it run. Talk about innovative....

Nickodell

Donation Time
I'm not sure which of the two Nicks (or pair of Nickers) you mean, but if it's for Nick Sr., thanks, that was fascinating. I didn't know there had ever been a rotary-engine auto (far less a bike). One thing puzzles me; rotary-engine airplanes in WWI had no throttle control, the pilot could only control their speed by leaning out the mixture or "blipping" the ignition. I wonder how the car designer got around this.

I wish it was in Jay Leno's collection - at least he would have driven it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, also no mention of castor (not caster) oil.

Very interesting engine with attributes few cars on the road of the day could match. Virtually no vibration and guaranteed to never throw a rod. It is easy to see how an inventive guy of the day would pursue that style engine. Would love to see that baby run.

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
[Nick, also no mention of castor (not caster) oil.]

As I'm sure you are aware, the origin of Castrol. Anyone who has ever smelled burnt castor oil as used in racing cars and bikes until the 1950s will never forget it. Our village in England was near an army base, and occasionally, near the end of WWII, some of the guys would "borrow" a bit of His Majesty's petrol and organize an impromptu grass-track race. They used castor oil, of course, and the utterly distinctive smell is something unforgettable.

At the end of Ken W. Purdy's great book The Kings of the Road, is this passage:

One day a tanker lieutenant in Montgomery's Eighth Army in North Africa came across a bottle of castor oil found in a captured Afrika Corps hospital. He thought of the may happy hours he had spent at Brooklands in the days when only castor oil would stand up to the demands of racing engines. That night he called a few of the faithful to his tent, and had a piece of armor plate brought to red heat with a blow torch. Then a bit of the oil was lovingly decanted upon it, so that they could all inhale the aroma and weep for the bellowing, smoky monsters, the Mercedes and Auto-Union V16s that we will never know again.