• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

This definitely belongs in "Factory Original"...

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Found this rattling around in a 1725 block's cooling passages whilst doing a rebuild... do you think I should put it back to retain the originality? :)

Perhaps it's a sacrificial anode?

imikhz.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Kevin,

Where abouts in the passages.. down the back? Does the head show signs of overheating near the passages in the block where you found the "nugget"?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I found this after removing the left-hand freeze plugs and it was located in between the #1 & #2 cylinders. I noticed it after the engine had been hot-tanked and I had it on the stand and rotated the motor and heard a 'clink'. Took a while to fish it out. It's clearly cast iron and probably a chuck left over from the casting process that was left behind when they cleaned the sand out of the block.

My #4 has always been hotter than the other cylinders, but this is typical of an Alpine engine, particularly a later SV motor without the water outlet on the back of the head. I don't think this chunk made a difference, really, as it was probably laying at the bottom of the cylinder block.

Kevin, how did my dog get into your garage?

You really gotta cut down the iron in that pup's diet.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't you guys know anything ??? It's a Rootes 'Gallstone' (too much iron in the drinking water):D

Perhaps I should attach it to a gold chain? I wonder if the wife would appreciate it as a lovely Christmas necklace.... hmm...

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I just recently caused a furor on the Tiger email list when someone was asking about how to paint their wheels and duplicate the gray overspray that would go through the holes (apparently the factory first painted the backs black, then painted the fronts gray without taping over the holes). I suggested that was a bit like the Corvette guy I saw who "perfected" the factory pealing paint on the air conditioning bracket and the poorly prepped paint under the bumpers because the factory installed the bumpers after paint, but before buffing. In the end, I apologized and said that while I wouldn't pay any extra for a car that had "perfected the imperfection" of paint overspray, I probably would pay extra for a car that someone spent that kind of attention to all the other details too.

So, if I were you, I'd put that back in AND I'd strongly consider adding some air bubbles to the brake lines - for certainly there must have been Sunbeams that left the factory with air bubbles in the brake lines. ;-)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
... I'd strongly consider adding some air bubbles to the brake lines - for certainly there must have been Sunbeams that left the factory with air bubbles in the brake lines. ;-)

Wow. I hadn't thought of that. The problem is going to be finding real factor air. You think I can find a bottle of it on eBay? I'll bet it will be expensive!!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Wow. I hadn't thought of that. The problem is going to be finding real factor air. You think I can find a bottle of it on eBay? I'll bet it will be expensive!!

Kevin,

dont quote me on this.. but im quite sure that the guy selling the NOS lucas factory smoke had some NOS lockheed brake air bubbles... question is.. did the factory use that girling or castrol.... once they are in there nobody will know though ;-)

Jeff Howarth

Donation Time
I hope you guys all remembered to decant the factory original Coventry air from tyre to tyre to retain the cars handling characteristics.
If not, I can bring a bag over next time I am in the US.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Every time somebody mentions a car having "factory air" I'm always amused, having smelled a few factories.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I hope you guys all remembered to decant the factory original Coventry air from tyre to tyre to retain the cars handling characteristics.
If not, I can bring a bag over next time I am in the US.

But can you get some of the synthetic factory air? I think it's what they use to refill Nike shoes and is needed if you have made the concession to run synthetic brake fluid.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Hey Jeff.
...If youre bringing over some Coventry air, be sure to pack it in the carry on and put in the overhead storage so as to avoid subjecting it to extreme temprature changes in storage. Ive heard that it's sensintive to temp. and pressure:rolleyes: