• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tech tips....removing tapers

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi all...I was in a pinch and did not have any real proper pullers to take off the center link to renew and lube the bushings so i came up with this quick ingenious method to use a C clamp and a socket that fit perfect over the round washer on top...I did this with the engine in and out of the car..its a bitch on the drivers left side with all the brake and clutch cylinders with the engine in but still doable if you position the wheels just right...Included are a few pics.. the socket is a 1 1/16th

What i did was tighten down the c clamp as hard as i could by hand only and then applied a small propane torch to them and POP off they came...Next time around they came off a little easier as i wanted to check the lube .(i use lithium grease so as not to attack the rubber)

Cheers
Chazbeam

Attachments

• tech1.jpg
    tech1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 156
  • tech2.jpg
    tech2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 152
  • tech3.jpg
    tech3.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 155

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Pretty neat....

Is that a 1 1/16" socket?

That is a great idea... I'll remember (maybe)..

DanR

Last edited:

thomson

Donation Time
Removing link

What I do is remove the nuts , Then jack up the car ,I then have a rod about 2 feet long on which I have wielded a right angle rod on one end about 4 inches long .Place the rod with the right angle under the link close to the arm with the other end on the floor of the garage then carefully lower car so a load is on the rod .Then with a long drift hit the arm ,it will release.

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
scary!

yea i could see that working. smart idea..but i would be a little concerned putting all that pressure on the arm as its not designed for that kind of thrust direction and its cast iron braking that would make you cry...I do love smart ways of getting er done!
Cheers
Chaz