• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tail light question on a series V

JConstable

Donation Time
Foolish rear tail light question….due to my limited observational skills, and lack of documentation.

First the obvious: on the reverse side of the rear light assembly on a series V there are two spade terminals on the bottom light and one on the top light. These terminals are divided between brake light, parking light and turn-indicator wires. And now the foolishness, which wire goes to which terminal? I’m guessing turn-indicator to the top and brake and parking lights to either of the two bottom terminals (both terminals appear to illuminate the same bulb). If I’m missing something (obvious or not) please clue me in. Thanks

John

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think you have it right. The bottom bulb has two two filaments, but one is brighter. Make sure the brake lights up the brighter element.

I decided to wire my lights so the bottom bulb was for tail and turn signal and the top light was brake. That arose from the argument that a light coming on was more noticeable than a light that gets brighter.

As you might have guessed, I don't care which is correct. My interest is to keep other cars away from the crossover tube.

Bill

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill

I wired mine the same way and for the same reason. I also run a 3rd brake light as most drivers are now expecting to see a bright light in the center of the car.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill

I wired mine the same way and for the same reason. I also run a 3rd brake light as most drivers are now expecting to see a bright light in the center of the car.

Paul, I always suspected that you were a smart guy. Suspicion confirmed!

Bill

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
thanks Bill - and right back at you!

BTW I also installed double filament sockets all around so that I have tail lights lighted on all four sockets - a big improvement for night time driving - again, a good safety tip to enhance visibility for drivers behind the car.

JConstable

Donation Time
Oooo... LEDs are NICE, but I'll stick with the traditional until the wallet recovers from getting the series V back on the road. Thanks for all the comments, I think the PaulA and Bill Blue hit the nail on the head with respect to the rational for the tail lights - I think I'll do the same. John

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Paul can. You post a photo of your third brake light. I wou kd lke go see how you did that so I can consider it while ia am wiring my car.
Thanks.