• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tail lens

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
I just noticed my 67 Alpine has two different lens on the rear. On one the lower lens has a red but see through area over the lower bulb. The other the lower bulb has circular grooves over it and you cant see the bulb. Both are stamped Lucas and I have never changed them during my 20 years of ownership. Which is the oem? The clear lens is much brighter.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
What is the Lucas PN on each lens? Are they outside or inside screw lenses? There are several types....Eric

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
the clear lens has L763 stamped on it. The other that is grooved is stamped L654. They have external screws.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Being curious I checked the tail lenses on my 66 series V. I have L654 on the left lens and L763 on the right lens.
The L654 has a circular ring pattern top and bottom where the bulbs reside.
The L763 has a vertical line pattern top and bottom where the bulbs reside.

Neither has any 'clear' area where the bulbs reside.

I checked the WSM. If I am reading the notes correctly, the WSM shows L654 for series IV & V up to VIN B395000207 and L763 from VIN B395000208 on.

I know my dad had a series IV parts car, so that should explain where the 'wrong' lens came from that is on my car.

Mike

ziebellski

Donation Time
I've noticed the different tail lamp lens patterns too. Triumph TR4s can be found with either the circular or the vertical line patterns in the lenses as well. I find the lenses with the vertical pattern to be brighter than the circular kinds. My uneducated guess is that the vertical patterns came about from the sweeping standards our Federal government put on the automobile industry in the mid-sixties.

Todd
Wisconsin

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I see that reproductions of the L763 plastic tail lens are available. For instance, Kip Motors sells them. I'd like to swap out my one L654 lens for the L763. The L654 lens that I have is an inside-screw setup. The L763 is an outside-screw setup. Can I switch just the plastic lenses and go from inside-screw to outside-screw, or is there additional work to be done to make the switch (so I have something to screw into from the outside)?

Thanks,
Mike

Alpine66

Donation Time
I have an amber lense (spare) for the rear and have seen a smattering for sale here and there, what years were those used?

mikephillips

Donation Time
In the US they weren't as they were not considered legal then. In the UK and some other area amber for the rear turn signal was required so would have been in use starting at the beginning of Alpine production for at least some if not all of those places that ended up requiring it.