• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

T-5 transmission, pilot bushing question?

Firebuff

Donation Time
I'm pretty sure I know what Jose' answer is.. but I'll throw it out to the masses anyways..

On the input shaft.. where it meets the pilot bushing.. has anyone been able to make a new bearing that fits.. or been able to grind down the existing bearing to make it fit?

I understand that is where the majority of weight is being held.. can a shaved bearing hold up?

Has anyone tried anything else besides removing the shaft and having it machined down to fit the bearing?

Just bouncng ideas off bigger and better minds..

Thanks

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Pilot bearing

Hi Fire.
There has been lots of discussion about this on this forum so browsing the history might provide some answers. That said I must recommend following Jose's plan.
Sure, it can be a bit intimidating to think of ripping the input shaft out of that T5 trans, but shortening the throw out bearing collar ( required ), gets you half way there anyway.
Ford used a caged needle pilot bearing and there is really no weight on it . It merely aligns trans. input to crankshaft.
If you need any pointers to remove the input shaft etc. drop me a PM.
Cheers......

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
When removing the input shaft tilt the front end of the trans down, so that the needle bearings do not fall into the case.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
When I had mine done [shaft and bearing retainer] the shop did not remove the shaft, however they did remove the bearing retainer but would not put it back on because they were not sure of the order of things and had dropped something into the case. Don't remember now what it was.
I have no idea how they did the shaft w/o removing it. No ill effects for 3 years now.