• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Weber conversion

Henry K

Donation Time
Hi all,

I bought a 1967 SV basket case and am in the process of restoring it. Engine is almost completed. I'm concerned about the carbs. They look fine and I bought and installed new diaphragms in them. However, I've searched the threads regarding conversion to a Weber and think I'll go that route. My question is where is the best source for one? I see that there is always one available on eBay for about $530.00, including the new intake manifold. Is that the way to go? Is there a better source? I'd appreciate any recommendations on this. Thanks.

Henry K

RootesRich

Donation Time
Henry,
If you do a search on this Forum, I believe you'll find a discussion on the Ebay DGV kit. IIRC, the picture of the kit is not specific to the Alpine so there's a bit of an alarm right off the bat. I also don't believe the Ebay kit comes with a ready to fit linkage so you're paying a premium for an incorrectly jetted DGV, an unknown manifold and possibly a linkage that needs modification.

My advice is to buy the DGV from Sunbeam Specialties and either post a want ad for a used manifold or purchase one from Pierce Manifolds. I'd also buy a handful of jets from Pierce as the DGV is not jetted correctly out of the box. If you're handy, you can fabricate up a linkage yourself or post a want ad for that as well. At the end of the day this should save you a few bucks.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
You may want to check with Weber Carbs direct. They have a very good price on the Carb.
WeberCarbsDirect.com
Jim

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
I think SS buys the ones the resell from Pierce. I got info on the jet settings from Pierce, they said it was what they put on the SS carbs.

LarryN

Diamond Level Sponsor
After several attempts to have the carbs professionally rebuilt, I did the Sunbeam Specialties Weber conversion and have been extremely happy with it. My local shop (which rebuilt the engine) found a place in Florida which rebuilt the original carbs, flow-benched them, and generally did a nice looking job. In the end, the castings were just too badly worn and I went with the Weber.

I bought both the Weber and the manifold from SS. The installation went smoothly except for the throttle linkage. The template Rick provides for the linkage appears to be for the Tiger (I'm guessing that Tigers must have had a Holley or similar 2-bbl) and didn't work for converting the Alpine twin-carb to the single Weber. The shop cobbled the linkage together (looks like a reasonably straight-forward job cutting the old linkage and welding in some new rod. New brackets were required as well. I'm not equipped to welding or much metal bending, so I was glad to have them do the work. The linkage sticks a bit in hot weather, holding the idle at about 2000 rpm, but I'll work on that when we have warm weather again...

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Ironically I had just spoken with Ian Spencer about this yesterday and he and Jan Servaites (jumpinjan) are currently tooling up to sell these kits again. Right now they have all the raw materials but need to make all the necessary bends and do some welding for a complete kit.

They're planning on offering the two rods, the firewall bracket, and the rubber grommet.

Stay tuned.

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ebay Webber Kit

I bought one of the Webber Kits off ebay and put it on one of my series V cars.....It works great, it is a progressive carb with 2nd barrel larger than the 1st....It was an easy mod to make the linkage work...PM me and I can send some pics of the linkage....mike in Jupiter