• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV steering wheel and hub (boss)

Jim in PA

Donation Time
I've searched a bit on this forum and have not found what I need. Maybe this thread should be in Modified Alpine forum? Forgive me...
I have a '66 SV with a very degraded steering wheel rim and hub.
The rim has several cracks with wide separations and a 1/4" crack on the hub at 1 o'clock.
After reading another thread about being able to turn the wheel a bit before the car started in that direction I had a closer look at my wheel. Mine is still solidly turning but I don't want to risk getting to where I crank the wheel and the car doesn't turn.
I am looking for an aftermarket hub (boss) that works with the adjustable steering column and has a proper horn button.
So far the Moto-Lita boss looks best and the price is good. The Moto-Lita steering wheels are beautiful but the cost is a bit high.($400.00+)
I've seen all sorts of steering wheels out there but I notice some have six screw holes and some have nine holes. The hub hole where the horn button will be may not be the same size between different makes of wheels and hubs.
Does anyone here have experience with Moto-Lita or other boss kits? (I see a boss kit in VB catalog but I'm reluctant to buy anything from them without consulting others first)
What wheels will fit which boss?
Will the Moto-Lita boss kit work with other brand wheels?
I'm sure I can drill and tap needed holes in the boss if I have a 6 hole wheel going onto a 9 hole boss or vice-versa as long as the center hole in the wheel doesn't cause issues with the boss.
I know I sould just buy the whole kit from Moto-Lita but the cost is high. I'd like to do it for less if possible.
Some day I would like to have the original wheel rebuilt to original spec or buy a good original wheel but for now a new set up would be quicker and may even look better.
I'm sure the great breadth and depth of knowledge and experience here will, again, steer me down the proper path.(Pun intended)
Thanks in advance.
Jim

beamS3

Donation Time
Jim - check out RX Mazda (pre-airbag) bosses and wheels - believe these to be best bargains and have been told that they fit. Getting adjustable steering to work may require some fiddling on your part. Hope this helps

Bob

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't know squat about replacement wheels, other than it difficult to find the proper stuff.

On the other hand, I do know there is no danger in driving with a "bad" original wheel. It has a steel frame, the plastic is mostly cosmetic. It is also possible to fill the cracks with body putty, sand, paint and end up with a very nice wheel.

Bill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
steering wheel

Try the Grant RX7 hub some people here have used it. I machined my own alloy hub using the splined center from a junk wheel, this is also for sale now
as changed to an Ididit column. jkgriffs@yahoo.com

dmich2

Donation Time
I bought a moto-lita a few years ago along with the boss. Here's an English site. http://www.moto-lita.co.uk/our-products/bosskit-product-detail01.aspx as you can see the part # for the boss is B30H for adjustable steering column and B29H for non-adjustable. I bought a 14" wheel ( the Mk.3 holes )and boss. The bosses are machined to fit any Moto-lita wheel. Here's a site in the states. http://www.cobracountry.com/finishline/home.html I may have ordered from them as I think it was from a company in Florida.

Only thing else I can say, if you run wide low profile tires you may want a larger diameter wheel for some leverage. As I don't do much city driving requiring lots of turning, the 14" is fine. It's a wake up call after driving the family power steering vehicle and then muscle the Alpine around....

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Dennis

phatt

Donation Time
I also have a Moto-Lita wheel. I got it from Little British Car company. They seemed to be the cheapest at the time. I absolutely love that wheel! Its beautiful and feels great. However I have never figured out how to make the horn work and there is no provision for locking the wheel on the adjustable column. This means that if I pull back on the wheel it comes back towards me. The first time it happened I thought the wheel had come off!:eek:. Someone at Suni told me how to fix that, but I never did and now all I remember that you need to use the nut in the original wheel lock. Hope this helps. Paul:)

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Wood Steering Wheel and Hub

The Little British Car Company lists an aluminum hub for the Sunbeam adjustable column for the Mota Lita steering wheels.

Go to the hub section and check the right side pull down menu for the Sunbeam with adjustable column.

I bought both the wood wheel and the non adjustable hub for my Series II that also has a horn button. They are high quality and look great.

Thanks.

Gary Tosel

alpine_64

Donation Time
On the subject of adjustable bosses/hubs.. does anyone stock an adjustable hub for th mota-lita that maintains the ability to move the wheel in and out still?

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I've used the Moto lita in my SV (with their adapter I presume, I acquired them as an assy) and I've also used a Fittipaldi E3 on a Grant adapter. I've not seen an aftermarket wheel that retained the reach adjustability feature yet.

Funny thing about the Grant hub with the Fittipaldi wheel, it's been in the SV Alpine, in a Saab 900 SPG and now it's in my Esprit. Adapter and all.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
On the subject of adjustable bosses/hubs.. does anyone stock an adjustable hub for th mota-lita that maintains the ability to move the wheel in and out still?

I think I do. I posted a photo of it last year seeking information on it (http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8750) but didn't get any responses. I later contacted Moto Lita who told me it was an older version that is no longer made.

This is not as good a find as you might think. I would like to be able to use it and have been keeping my eyes open for a wheel with the right dish and horizontal spokes, as anything else wouldn't look right with the stock horn ring. I could use a different horn mechanism, but that would leave the cut-outs for the ring exposed, which also might not look right. I believe the right wheel was once available from M-L and am keeping my eyes open for one.

Jim in PA

Donation Time
aftermarket hub and wheel

Thanks for replying everyone.
I am hoping to find a hub that has horn button and still retain the adjustability.
Now I'm thinking the adjustability isn't so important since I have not readjusted my steering wheel in the 1 1/2 years I've had her so...

The other thing is that I can't believe the splined center hub that slides onto the steering shaft wouldn't be fast to the spokes and rim of the wheel.
It seems thay should be all welded as one piece with the plastic hub and rim molded on.

Maybe the earlier thread about turning the wheel a bit before the steering shaft moves should be ignored?

I was going to fill the cracks, sand and paint as suggested by Bill Blue.
I intended to fill cracks and wrap the skinny wheel with bicycle handlebar spongy rubber tape then have a black leather cover sewn over top to retain all original parts and the original look but have a larger grip. Better looking too.
Lots of little things to do over this winter...aside from my wife's Honey Do list.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I believe the hub has to be bolted onto the spines in order to allow disassembly of the steering box. But in any event, that is the time honored method of construction. If there is ANY slop between the hub and splined shaft, you have problems and you should not drive the car until it is resolved. But that is a very uncommon situation. The most common source of slop is in the steering gearbox and steering knuckles.

Bill

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Well...no slop or play in the wheel, box or other steering gear. I had the whole front suspension inspected and aligned earlier this past summer.
I just don't like the looks of the original wheel with it's cracks and gaps and I remember the a previous thread on how a wheel could be turned but nothing happening with steering. (freewheeling)
My wheel looked as the one described in the thread so I now have an excuse (safety) to buy more stuff.
I don't want the thing to just let go one day and have the Alpine end up in a ditch or hurting someone in the process. I really want this toy to be safe and sound so it remains FUN.

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Interesting article on the subject in the recent issue of 'Classic Motorsports" magazine:

"Fortunately Bill Martin of the Rootes Group Depot has not only cornered the market on Nardi hub kits for Tigers, but he has also machined a new center post to mount the stock steering wheel adjuster nut and steering wheel center to the Nardi hub. The finished product is a near-stock looking assembly that still adjusts and uses the stock Tiger center nut and surround."

http://classicmotorsports.net/project-cars/1965-sunbeam-tiger/updates/4/

Sadly you lose the horn function though.

Attachments

• tigerwheel.jpg
    tigerwheel.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 36