• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV rear brake cylinder installation tips? Manual adjustment.

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
I am having a difficult time installing new rear brake cylinders on my SV and wondering what the secret is.
It appears that I can place the horse shoe clip on the retainer spring and place this over the inboard portion of the cylinder where it goes through the plate, fighting the lower clip to no avail.

There has to be a secret to this. Lol
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PaulK
SV restoration project,

Well, I always make things more difficult than it is, I will blame it on my poor eyesight, well not that bad but my son came by and in 20 minutes he had both cylinders installed.

PaulK
SV restoration project.

Last edited:

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
There is a video on the Sunbeam Alpine Channel showing how to get the clips fitted.
Tim R

mikephillips

Donation Time
One other thing I will note for the future, If you have the rear axle out of the car or the brake backing plates off, install the cylinders before you reinstall the backing plates or put the axle back in place. Lot easier than working around the suspension maybe lying on your back.

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
There is a video on the Sunbeam Alpine Channel showing how to get the clips fitted.
Tim R
Tim, I found the video you mentioned, the horseshoe’s on my SV are different than the ones in the video. My setup has an upper and a lower horseshoe with a spring that lays over som recesses in the horseshoes and then underneath a tab on each horseshoe.

My son came by and put them in for me. Younger eyesight shire helps.

Thank you for the information, I have been watching many of these videos. Very good resource.

Paul
SV restoration project.

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
One other thing I will note for the future, If you have the rear axle out of the car or the brake backing plates off, install the cylinders before you reinstall the backing plates or put the axle back in place. Lot easier than working around the suspension maybe lying on your back.
Mike, you are absolutely correct. This has been a very long project with several years between working on it, axel assembly was installed quite a while back and I am now back at the project.

I hope that this time I finish it in the next 3 months.

Paul k