• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV popping out of Third Gear

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Syncro doesn't have anything to do with popping out of gear. Check the workshop manual for the most likely cause - I'm pretty sure it says detent spring. There is a procedure for fixing it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Syncro doesn't have anything to do with popping out of gear. Check the workshop manual for the most likely cause - I'm pretty sure it says detent spring. There is a procedure for fixing it.
If the synchro is worn it can jump out ..usually if lifting off the throttle or accelerating when you've just changed in. Similar to detent issues

mikephillips

Donation Time
And the reason it happens is that if the groove for the fork, or the fork, or both, are worn then it may not move far enough to completely engage when shifting gears.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gotta find what is worn. All that stuff (fork, synchro hub) tends to wear if the shaft is able to move in it's bearings. It may be moving axially or fore-and-aft. Input shaft, it's ball bearing and needle bearings would all interest me. I don't know what is the most common failure.