• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Oil Pressure Gauge

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
There are two versions of the gauge used on series V. Do you know the model you currently have? It is printed on the gauge face plate. It should be PL2307/07 or PL2307/07A.

Mike

Last edited:

chimpodunker

Donation Time
I don't think it's the original gauge. It's a Smiths gauge and all my other gauges are jaeger. Do you have the tubing and fittings?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was just trying to make sure you get the right replacement gauge for your vehicle.

The /07 gauge was used up to VIN B395004501.
The /07A gauge was used on VINs B395004502 and later.

Given you don't have an original Jaeger gauge, it is possible the original oil tube was also replaced.

Mike

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
I was just trying to make sure you get the right replacement gauge for your vehicle. Check out a couple of EBay listings for back-side photos of the /07 and /07A gauges (no relationship to me). Maybe you can figure out which type of hook-up you already have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Pressu...r-MK2-Alpine-Series-V-PL2303-07A/312233351240
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Pressu...s-Sunbeam-Alpine-Tiger-PL2303-07/283104410764

The /07 gauge was used up to VIN B395004501.
The /07A gauge was used on VINs B395004502 and later.

But given you don't have an original Jaeger gauge, it is possible the original oil tube was also replaced.

Mike
Early cars had a metal tube for the oil pressure line and later cars had a plastic line. Early cars had a nipple and nut to connect the line to the gauge. It's possible that the one gauge has the nut fitting with a nipple that was used to connect oil lines on early cars up to B9201703, After that the nipple and nut came assembled to the line.

chimpodunker

Donation Time
The previous owner put in a Stewart Warner gauge and adapted it to fit. There is metal tubing from engine to firewall then it adapts to flexible tubing to the gauge. The serial number is B395005420LRX. It looks like they had to modify the connection. I have attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 19

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Parts manual shows the same oil pipe was used throughout the series V run. Sorry for the bad info that I thought there were different oil pipe connection methods between the /07 and /07A gauges. Those NOS gauge photos on EBay threw me off...

The stock oil pipe has a mix of hard pipe (244) and flexible hose (243).

upload_2019-1-16_17-10-12.png

The hard pipe to flexible hose connection is near a bolt that attaches the bell housing:

upload_2019-1-16_17-14-56.png

Maybe you still have the original hard pipe piece?

Mike

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Regardless of what your oil pipe situation is, given your VIN, your car originally came with the PL2307/07A gauge. But you can also use the PL2307/07 gauge and it has the same appearance as the /07A gauge.

Mike

65beam

Donation Time
Over the years the gauges had different faces and needle colors dependent on the series. You could use any oil pressure gauge from any series of Alpines unless you want it to be the correct face and right color needle as Mike mentioned110_0609.JPG . The connections are the same. Here's a photo of the metal line that hooked to the engine block, an NOS plastic line used on the series 5 and a gauge used on a series 2.