• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV instruments and panel lights

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm putting the SV back together and hit a snag with the panel lights. The switch was bad, so I temporarily made the connection with alligator clips for test purposes. The lights still don't come on. So I'm wondering--are they wired in series like Christmas lights so if one bulb is bad, the rest don't come on? I'm getting power to the switch connector.

Also, my fuel gauge clicks up to full even though the tank is still empty. Does it need fuel in it to get a correct reading, or is something wrong?

Finally, when I crank it over, I don't get a reading on the oil pressure gauge. Does it need to be actually running to get enough pressure for a reading? I don't want to start it if no oil is circulating.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

PETER CLAYTON

Donation Time
panel lights etc.

Panel lights are in parallel,try looking at your earth/ground connections (get a multimeter if possible)
Dissconnect fuel sensor at tank to check if you have a short.
Remove connection from rear of pressure gauge to check oil is getting to instrument,it may be air locked,if no oil comes out when cranking (catch in rag & remove cb lead to prevent starting).If no lube present,you will have to check at block & if none there further into engine, oil pump pressure release valve etc.

agmason54

Donation Time
Sv

hey
Each gauge light is wired separately. The gauges all use the same ground....
Your fuel sender sounds grounded or stuck in the full position.....
Your should be able to pump up OP without ignition on...
good luck
Al

beamS3

Donation Time
Good day SRQJeff
Check "www.vintagebritishcables.com" They had a copy online of "SMITHS The Care of Instruments" which may help sort some of your problems.

Bob
beamS3